Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Help please Transmission fluid Quest

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Help please Transmission fluid Quest

I just rebuild my ls transmission an replace new carbon syncros 1/5. And i have type R lsd. The question what is good transmission fluid should i use ?? Or other Transmission Fluid you guy suggest ???

1) Honda transmission fluid

2) Amsoil Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

3) Redline Transmission Fluid

Thank

Last edited by Akavietboy201; 09-12-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Help please Transmission fluid Quest

I use either Supertech 10w-30 or Torco MTF/RTF. If you're turbo or its a road race setup use the RTF, otherwise the MTF will work well for you.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
I use either Supertech 10w-30 or Torco MTF/RTF. If you're turbo or its a road race setup use the RTF, otherwise the MTF will work well for you.
thank !!!!! The tranny is flush clean. How many cans of Torco MTF do i need to put in the tranny ???

Last edited by Akavietboy201; 09-11-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

You'll need to pickup 2 liters.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's really opening up a can of worms asking that..
SO many peeps are adamant of their particular fluid that it's hard to get a real life HONEST answer because there are sooo many variables.

1st, What are you going to try or set out to do with this "fresh" LS trans?
2nd, Did you rebuild it or a shop?
3rd, All clearances to spec? (old-reused or new bearings?, same with C-clips/retainers?)
4th, If the trans had well over 200k, {that's why the rebuild RIGHT? At most, 20yrs old x avg/15k/yr=300k!!! } the 'old' gear-set will need to get 'used to' the new kids that their mated to.. They CAN'T leave..? (what happens to the carbon residue that wears off due to bedding in? Floating around with the oil??)
5th, Solid/new/DIY motor mounts?
6th, Unbalanced/off the shelf, flywheel/clutch assy? (PPpssssst.. Hey, Over here! Have I got a deal for YOU!)
7th Wrong viscosity fluid? Most Honda manual trans take Motor oil. I've seen cases split because the 'goober' listening to his I-pod put in 80/90w while your in the customer service area reading House Beautiful..
8th What dia. tires? All season or glue laden?
9th Known history of said trans?
10th Periodic/oil changes to MFG standards?
AND THE ITEM MOST EVERYONE FORGETS... OIL analysis taken? (any goober can say, "DUDE".. What was that? I saw a 'chunk' come out into the drain pan...!") It's basically a blood test for a given fluid. (I like Analysists INC.) For about 9$ they test for about 17 different items!

I'm in the process of seeking pros and cons of installing HF 5th gears in an (untold mileage) PL-3/PR-3 trans (Couldn't tell if it's a SI trans or EX, so it came apart.. It's an EX of course..)
I'm looking for basically a close ratio trans with a .8 or lower 5th without spending a ton on.
It's going in a 90 civ 4dr that i want to make into a sleeper that can haul kids too. (that will later get a GSR, ____ trans (want to find info on doing the same to a B-trans)
The driving will be mostly 70-85mph Hywy since i live out rural.

I've been using Amsoil lubes for over 20yrs and don't baby my vehicles. Either 0w30 or 0w20 (it doesn't get that cold down here) in them.
Never had a oil related issue.

Gotta run.. Church time.

E
Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Help please Transmission fluid Quest

Originally Posted by Aquafina
You'll need to pickup 2 liters.
Thank you for help !!!!! I will pick up 3 liter just in case.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Help please Transmission fluid Quest

Originally Posted by 77amc
That's really opening up a can of worms asking that..
SO many peeps are adamant of their particular fluid that it's hard to get a real life HONEST answer because there are sooo many variables.

1st, What are you going to try or set out to do with this "fresh" LS trans?
2nd, Did you rebuild it or a shop?
3rd, All clearances to spec? (old-reused or new bearings?, same with C-clips/retainers?)
4th, If the trans had well over 200k, {that's why the rebuild RIGHT? At most, 20yrs old x avg/15k/yr=300k!!! } the 'old' gear-set will need to get 'used to' the new kids that their mated to.. They CAN'T leave..? (what happens to the carbon residue that wears off due to bedding in? Floating around with the oil??)
5th, Solid/new/DIY motor mounts?
6th, Unbalanced/off the shelf, flywheel/clutch assy? (PPpssssst.. Hey, Over here! Have I got a deal for YOU!)
7th Wrong viscosity fluid? Most Honda manual trans take Motor oil. I've seen cases split because the 'goober' listening to his I-pod put in 80/90w while your in the customer service area reading House Beautiful..
8th What dia. tires? All season or glue laden?
9th Known history of said trans?
10th Periodic/oil changes to MFG standards?
AND THE ITEM MOST EVERYONE FORGETS... OIL analysis taken? (any goober can say, "DUDE".. What was that? I saw a 'chunk' come out into the drain pan...!") It's basically a blood test for a given fluid. (I like Analysists INC.) For about 9$ they test for about 17 different items!

I'm in the process of seeking pros and cons of installing HF 5th gears in an (untold mileage) PL-3/PR-3 trans (Couldn't tell if it's a SI trans or EX, so it came apart.. It's an EX of course..)
I'm looking for basically a close ratio trans with a .8 or lower 5th without spending a ton on.
It's going in a 90 civ 4dr that i want to make into a sleeper that can haul kids too. (that will later get a GSR, ____ trans (want to find info on doing the same to a B-trans)
The driving will be mostly 70-85mph Hywy since i live out rural.

I've been using Amsoil lubes for over 20yrs and don't baby my vehicles. Either 0w30 or 0w20 (it doesn't get that cold down here) in them.
Never had a oil related issue.

Gotta run.. Church time.

E
The reason i rebuild my Ls tranny cause my syncros go bad it grind going in gear !!!! So i had the shop rebuild my tranny but new carbon syncros. An put in Type R Lsd an Type R final drive for better traction. An check All clearances to spec, An replace all bearings an seals. And new C-clips/retainers. I'm going to boost this tranny to 25lb boost hopefully it will hold up.

I have use Amsoil Synchromesh Transmission Fluid. I didn't like that much so i change it to Redline Transmission Fluid it feel better it didn't grind that much as Amsoil Synchromesh Transmission. But i don't know that about Torco Mtf Transmission fluid. But i will give it a try see how it go !!