Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

b series drive shaft compatability

Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b series drive shaft compatability

Doing a little research for a project I am not planning on getting to until next year.
My current transmission is a standard YS1 non-lsd. I feel the need for LSD so looking at my options. My question is, will my current shafts fit in any other b-series transmission? I already have a hydraulic to cable conversion on the transmission so I can go either cable or hydro.

Odie
Fiat X19 B16.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: b series drive shaft compatability

The inboard axles are all very similar... cable or hydro "B" series transmissions. The midshafts may differ slightly in how they seal against the driver's side axle seal, but if you replace this axle seal with the appropriate one from the model year of the shaft you intend to use... you will be fine.
As for the LSD... all cable along with hydro LS and B16A use a smaller housing differential... so a LSD for any of these applications will interchange. A hydro GSR or ITR trans has a larger sized differential housing and interchange with each other. Smaller diffs can be used in the larger diff housing transmissions as long as you use the ring gear and counter shaft together. A larger differential can be installed into a smaller housing style transmission, but you may have to clearance the inside of the case as well as move the ring and counter shaft.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b series drive shaft compatability

ok, so if I want LSD, it would be easiest getting a full LSD Transmission rather than trying to put an LSD into my current trans? note I said easier, not cheaper. Also the other question would be would that be "better"? this is mainly a fun car, I would say DD, but I wont be driving it daily, just nice days. no real track time other than maybe 1-2 track days a year. (road course)

Odie
B16 Fiat X19