Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

GSR tranny, VSS not working, tried 3 different sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:52 AM
pFB
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR tranny, VSS not working, tried 3 different sensors...

Blew the old motor, time for a swap, B18b1 with GSR tranny, joy!
right?

wrong, I have no speedo... so I can't tell at all how fast I'm going lest I get a gps... well, here's the thing, we tried 3 different sensors, off the old auto , the one that came with the LS, and the one that came with the GSR... none of em worked...

well, my buddy in all his wisdom stuck his hand down into the little hole, and noticed the shaft that (I'm guessing) spins the VSS spins freely... doesn't spin with the movement of the car, etc.... I know it's not supposed to be like that...

here is where you come in... what in the hell is that little bastard called so I can attempt to source one? does that happen normally, or even abnormally... does it riding on a bearing that is probably bad? is there a difference between B-series and D-series VSS's to ECU's whatever the hell it's calleds? it does sound like the throwout bearing is shot, but it might be an idler or something... anyway... converted from an auto, to a stick, and I'm stuck... scared I'm gonna get a ticket cause I can't remember... ever, the rpm to mph conversions...

thanks for reading my story! and thanks in advance for any info...
Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR tranny, VSS not working, tried 3 different sensors... (pFB)

Are you using a VSS from a B-series? I don't think a VSS from a automatic or from a d-series will work. VSS sensors come with different length shafts that may or may not reach the speedo ring on the differential. Check out the pic I attached. The sensors have different length shafts. I'm pretty sure its called the speedometer gear. Number 6 in the picture.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 PM
pFB
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR tranny, VSS not working, tried 3 different sensors... (SeVeNisOnE)

ok, awesome, that's why the one for the auto didn't work... but I want to know the gear actually 'inside' the transmission, where the speedo gear rests and is supposed to be spun by...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's called the speedo gear

On the B series, it's a metal gear that is pressed onto the differential.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
pFB
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR tranny, VSS not working, tried 3 different sensors... (Evs-One)

oh oh, I see

Thanks a bunch

one last question, I just threw a VSS code, got the conversion harness, threw the P75 in and no cel anymore as I no longer had VTEC and was throwing the vtec stuff before... but got out onto the highway, rang it out to see if the rev limit had gone from 5000 to 7-whatever it should be at, got it up to around 60-65, the speedo jumped to like 80 dropped back to 0 and then threw the code, is that because the VSS is bad, or because the ECU interpreted the spike as a bad VSS?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a gear that is on the differential that meshes with the gear of the VSS.

See where number 1 meets number 2. Number 2 is the gear on the differential.

As for the code, it could be a bad VSS or the wrong VSS for that type of ECU. I would try sticking to the GSR VSS. But I'm not sure if the P75 ECU can interpret the signals from various vehicle speed sensors and work accurately. Different sensors have different gears and could possibly send different voltages.

Any who, my VSS doesn't send any signal either, but I've just lived with it. Come to find out, when I bought my used '00 Si transmission that already had an LSD installed, the previous owner failed to mention he forgot to install that gear that goes on the differential as well.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 AM
pFB
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR tranny, VSS not working, tried 3 different sensors... (SeVeNisOnE)

Thanks for the pic, yeah, we tested the gsr VSS and it works properly, but as we found out, it's broken at the base of the metal piece , don't know what you'd call it, but whatever it is, right below the little c-clip lookin thing, it actually sheared and is just hangin out... that could also be the reason why it doesn't work properly...

anyway, I've gotta get the tranny opened up and replace some bearings, so I'll see if the gear is still there, if not, I'll deal until next spring when I can afford to get a LSD dropped in...