Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

GSR Tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:37 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Tranny questions

So I’m in the market for a GSR trans for my b20. My issue is I’m not sure where to look for one that hasn’t got the **** beaten out of it. I found one for 700$ but that seems kinda steep. The last one I bought had a LSD in it and I paid 650$ For it disassembled.
Im not a tranny guru
So my question(s): 1) where is a reputable place to purchase a trans ? ( I’m thinking about pulling one from a junkyard)

2) how much does the average GSR trans go for ?
3) anything I specifically should look for when purchasing one
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: GSR Tranny questions

$700 is fair if its a verified GSR transmission (case split and ratios counted). The newest GSR transmission is 19 years old. They are only going to get more rare, thus more expensive.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply. I suppose so I just wanted to double check before I bought something I know nothing about. Last one I bought was about 3 years ago
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

It's a crap shoot any way you cut it. Anything you find that is verified to be in good condition, as in freshly rebuilt, is going to be pricey. Same goes for anything with upgraded parts, LSD's, etc.

I had to drive 1.5 hours to get a decent condition LS tranny from a junkyard for $325. They claimed it had 115k miles. Working good so far. I would try to find something similar though a GSR will be harder to find and probably a bit higher priced even from a yard, but if you're lucky it might work just fine, and if not you can rebuild it yourself.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Vet the seller whenever you find something and if you're familiar with transmissions, ask to split the case and inspect it. Too many people buy a GSR or Si transmission just to find out its an LS.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:37 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

So I actually just ended up picking up the trans for 700.
I tried calling junkyards and **** and one actually asked me if I was looking for gold. We had a good laugh.
He proceeded to look if anyone had one in the area and the closest one was a state away and they wanted 600. I also looked on fb, someone wanted 550 for theirs but at the end of the day idk enough about transmission to not get beat. So I just bit the bullet and bought it from a verified seller. They said 2nd gear synchro is a little worn down but no pop outs or grinds and fully functional. At least I know it was verified and counted and I definitely got what I paid for. I guess an extra hundo for the peace of mind is worth it. anyways I’m satisfied. And don’t feel like I’m on a wild goose chase anymore
Thanks guys
Old 01-14-2019, 07:38 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
Vet the seller whenever you find something and if you're familiar with transmissions, ask to split the case and inspect it. Too many people buy a GSR or Si transmission just to find out its an LS.
I can split the case and put it back together but as far as internal condition I have no clue what to look for.