Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

grinding/ rattling noise when decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding/ rattling noise when decelerating

I have a 2008 Acura TSX automatic transmission that drives great with one exception. When I am driving and let my foot off of the accelerator completely, I hear a weird grinding/ rattling noise that is coming from somewhere in the front of the car. I have done hours of research trying to figure out what this noise is and have a couple of hunches but those are based on issues people have with either manual transmission cars or rear-wheel drive cars.

The noise is pretty hard to describe and I have yet to be able to find a YouTube video that really sounds like the noise I am experiencing. If needed, I can try and take a video to capture the sound.

Some things worth noting about the noise:

- gets louder the faster I am driving. When I am going 80 and let off of the gas it is much more audible and clear than when I am going 50 and do so.
- pretty much goes away when I have my foot on the gas. I feel like I can hear a noise due to the same problem when I have my foot on the gas, but it is MUCH quieter and if you weren't really listening closely you wouldn't be able to pick up on it.
- noise seems to go away in neutral based on testing out putting the car in neutral while driving

For a second it seemed like the noise matched the description of the differential pinion bearing/ pinion bearing preload. However, this is a front-wheel drive car, so I don't think the car has these components since the differential connects directly to the transmission in this configuration.

I am thinking it is still maybe something in the differential even though this is a front-wheel drive car and not a rear-wheel drive car? The noises I have heard CV axles making don't match the noise I am hearing but I am here to ask if there are maybe components of a front-wheel drive differential that I am unaware of or noises that CV axle can make that I haven't heard on YouTube yet?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: grinding/ rattling noise when decelerating

Bump

anybody?