Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Flywheel bolts not wanting to bolt up..

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flywheel bolts not wanting to bolt up..

So here is the deal. I am trying to bolt up my flywheel to a new b20 and the bolts will not go in any more that 2-4 threads then get extremely tight with the exception of one of the holes on the crank, .....so not wanting to force it I looked at all the threads on the new JDM crank and theyre fine, not stripped or anything. I then go back to US motor and the flywheel bolts thread in perfectly in every hole. I reproduced the problem im having with every single flywheel bolt. So my question is has anyone had to re-tap/thread there crank where the flywheel bolts up? I have a M12X1.0 mm tap which is the thread pattern that im going to try and just make then nice and clean again. This is freaking me out because ive never had this problem and ive done about a dozen swaps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by eh2_Trav; 10-06-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheel bolts not wanting to bolt up..

Cleaning up the threads with the M12X1.0MM tap worked like a charm. It seemed to have some of the threads/gunk from the old flywheel bolts stuck between the threads of the crank.
I inspected the threads on the crank too so I don't see how I didn't notice anything in them.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by eh2_Trav
Cleaning up the threads with the M12X1.0MM tap worked like a charm. It seemed to have some of the threads/gunk from the old flywheel bolts stuck between the threads of the crank.
I inspected the threads on the crank too so I don't see how I didn't notice anything in them.
I wondered about that. I noticed a grey thread locker in the flywheel bolts I pulled. Almost like Permatex Ultra Grey but that's an RTV not thread locker.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I wondered about that. I noticed a grey thread locker in the flywheel bolts I pulled. Almost like Permatex Ultra Grey but that's an RTV not thread locker.
I am just super thankful it was an easy fix. Ive never ran into this problem before with any other swap so it definitely had me scratching my head for a second.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Hysterically Calm

I am just super thankful it was an easy fix. Ive never ran into this problem before with any other swap so it definitely had me scratching my head for a second.
I bet. Looking into the FSM it doesn't say anything about thread locker or RTV etc. Just torque in the criss cross pattern like lug nuts to X torque.

Guess some people add the RTV as a mild thread locker for added peace of mind? *dunno*
Old 10-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I bet. Looking into the FSM it doesn't say anything about thread locker or RTV etc. Just torque in the criss cross pattern like lug nuts to X torque.

Guess some people add the RTV as a mild thread locker for added peace of mind? *dunno*
Yeah i noticed that as well in the fsm. Just torque it down to 74 ft lbs in three sequences or whatever and I should be good to go. Although, Ive personally seen flywheel bolts backed out and cause damage so im going to just put a very small amount on the threads for piece of mind.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here is the deal. I am trying to bolt up my flywheel to a new b20 and the bolts will not go in any more that 2-4 threads then get extremely tight with the exception of one of the holes on the crank, .....so not wanting to force it I looked at all the threads on the new JDM crank and theyre fine, not stripped or anything. I then go back to US motor and the flywheel bolts thread in perfectly in every hole. I reproduced the problem im having with every single flywheel bolt. So my question is has anyone had to re-tap/thread there crank where the flywheel bolts up? I have a M12X1.0 mm tap which is the thread pattern that im going to try and just make then nice and clean again. This is freaking me out because ive never had this problem and ive done about a dozen swaps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to reply to this but i need some help im having my flywheel resurfaced and the mechanic said they need my pressure plate/clutch to align the flywheel ????? What ??? do they acutally need it for resurfacing or im wrong
Old 11-03-2016, 06:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flywheels can only be resurfaced to a certain amount but all they need to know is what vehicle it's for to be able to look it up to find the limit. There is no reason they need the clutch unless they plan on installing it.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Hysterically Calm

This question may have been better suited in the engine machining section. It's where the machinists actually respond and you may have been given reason why a shop may want the clutch and pressure plate for the resurface.