Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

CV Axle fell out of tranny while car was doing 30.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:45 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 CV Axle fell out of tranny while car was doing 30.

Hello everyone. I’m hoping you guys can help me out with an issue my mother is having with her 2013 Honda cross tour. So it’s at about 70,000 miles and the maintenance on it has been meticulously maintained by me. Everything was going fine open till a couple months ago when it started making a noise that I thought was either a brake pad rubbing against the Rotor or the dust shield rubbing against the rotor. Anyway I told her not to worry about it I’ll check it out the day after and didn’t seem like it should be a problem To hold off fixing that issue for 24 hours. Well very very next day I receive a call from her that The car mail a horrendous bang or loud noise as she was going up a hill turning the steering wheel to the right about 30 miles an hour. She took a look under the hood and then underneath the car and saw that her driver-side CV axle had come out of where it was seated in the transmission, And was dragging on the ground. Now the whole thing was Under warranty, and unfortunately I wasn’t there to witness this, but I remember the noise it made distinctly. Anyway she had it towed back to the dealer, whereupon they examined it, And decided that the whole transmission as well as the CV axle needed to be replaced, which at the time I didn’t quite understand. I found out later, that both the end of the CVS axle As well as the slot where is seats into the transmission we’re just torn the hell up. I surmised from this that the retaining ring or whatever held the Cv axle Into the transmission failed, and that grinding noise that I had heard was actually the end of the axle with the teeth and the transmission Tearing each other up as it had come loose. Probably that’s why they figured the transmission needs to be replaced I’m guessing. Anyway it was under warranty And their dealer replaced the transmission and the axle for free. And for about a month it seems fine. Maybe it’s simple just a little bit tight to me but it could’ve been my imagination perhaps because the transmission was brand new. However four days ago I heard the exact same grinding noise and my mother heard it to clear his day. Now once again I couldn’t be with her but I told her to have the car towed to the dealer before the cv axle fell out again and explain to them that the same exact thing was about to go down. When I returned to her house later that evening she told me that’s the dealer insisted that the real reason it’s making that noise is because it needs four new sets of brake pads, which they wanted 600$ to replace which is complete horseshit, since I personally replaced the front brake pads not four months ago with top-of-the-line brake pads and the noise was coming from the front not the rear. Also there was absolutely no squeaking of the brakes preceding the grinding noise. Well I think they didn’t even look at The transmission, they just think they recognized.the sound, I think the axle has already come out of the transmission partly and has destroyed itself as well as the transmission housing where it goes in, and this car won’t go 10 more miles before the axle falls out again. Has anybody had any experience with anything like this? The transmission was replaced completely. What does this? Some more info. The half shaft was the original before the first time it popped out. To my knowledge, it had never been removed from the transmission before it let itself out. The car has never been in any accident nor sustained any damage. It was current on all scheduled maintanance including a tranny drain and fill with honda tranny fluid. It had a wheel align done about 45 days before the first incident due to a slight veer, cant remember which way. Braking was smooth quiet and efficient.

Last edited by Evooevoo; 02-26-2018 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CV Axle fell out of tranny while car was doing 30.

For anyone interested, the issue was resolved. Below are spoilers. I have given you guys enough information actually to figure out what happened. Congratulations if anybody figured out the solution, you are the master mechanic.

Solution: It turned out that the rear brake pads had been worn for a while now. Somehow, this crosstour doesn’t squeak when the brakes get low it just goes directly to grinding the rotor. Anyway the first time the CV axle fell out, the sound I heard was actually the brake pad grinding and it was purely coincidental that the next day the CV axle fell out. Now it took the dealer a while to fix it and so it hasn’t been driven that often since the first incident. Moreover for some stupid reason, the sound was intermittent, and even though the brake pad wasn’t that low you didn’t have to step on the brake for it to make noise it just grabbed onto the rotor. To make a long story short the sound and the CV axle popping out we’re not related amazingly. The CV axle was not about to come out the second time. Egg on my face. I can already tell however that this car caused me a great deal of stress. So Changing out the rear brake pads solve the problem. Whether the CV axle pops out again I will never know until it does, but it wasn’t about to do it this time