Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

clutch pedal/bleeding woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal/bleeding woes

Zachary Bergman , 04-10-2017 10:51 PM
so, I'll start off by saying I'm fairly new to the honda scene, furthermore this is the first manual car I've driven.

so I've replaced both master and slave cylinders for the hydraulic clutch line and have bled the system multiple times, based off multiple posts here. I've done it by myself and with a friend, not sure if to the tee or not, but I've gotten good pressure built up and gravity bled prior to manually bleeding it(redundancy is always a sure fire way to make sure it's done right, right?), but I keep noticing a really odd trend. After I get really good pressure built up, if I were to put my hand on it slowly, as you would if you were driving, the pressure I had built up is totally lost and depresses to the floor. What gets even more odd is when I slam my hand down on the clutch pedal again, the clutch slave moves and the mechanical arm sticking outside the transmission will move and I can put it in gear. So it's like there's only pressure built up at the time I exert a good amount of force on the pedal and that's maybe with a 60 percent success rate. Does anyone have any ideas on what that might be?
Old 04-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: clutch pedal/bleeding woes

Hydraulic clutch systems can be a pain, as a mechanic by trade what i have found that works best is using a vacuum pump on the slave cylinder nipple. With the clutch pedal NOT depressed attach the pump and get it up to 15-20 in-hgs. Do this 5-6 time while monitoring master cylinder fluid level. A decent kit should come with a little container to put inline between the vacuum pump and the slave cylinder. If this does not work then you have some other issue make sure all fasteners are tight and there are no leaks. I know you installed new parts but double check the master cylinder seal at the pedal rod. Also after the vacuum bleed pump the pedal about 20 times before attempting to put in gear. Reverse is the key here because it does not have a sychro, so if it goes into reverse smoothly without grind you should be good. Good Luck
Old 04-16-2017, 12:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: clutch pedal/bleeding woes

There is a bubble stuck inside the master cylinder/reservoir area. Have someone rapidly pump the clutch pedal while you work the rubber hose by squeezing it back and forth to try to squeeze the air bubble out. If you're lucky you will see the air bubble come out the reservoir cap.