Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

CC Stage 2 clutch Hard time getting in gear at HIGH RPMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CC Stage 2 clutch Hard time getting in gear at HIGH RPMS

as far as i know, CC is the only place that has been having bad clutches..
i need a new clutch..
any recommendations?
im making 200whp nd plan to run NOS so 300whp
Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard Action clutches are good.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put my CC stage 4 in a few days ago with my T2W4 transmission. I gotta say, everything is pretty good. Shifting at high rpm is not a issue at all.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:57 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsnapzafingcu
well all clutches aren't the same, some need more stroke than others
some need LESS stroke. You can over center the fingers on the PP which causes all kinds of issues, Clutch is over centering. Also when it is over centered it can cause high RPM shifting issues since the clutch become re-engaged by the PP fingers.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
I would honestly just buy a new clutch if I was to take it apart. Not worth sending it in and then hearing "oh it's all fine".
They offered to inspect your 2nd hand used clutch for you, which is all you can ask for. You obviously decided that you already know what is going to happen and are refusing CC's support, so just go buy another clutch already.

We sell, install, and use CC clutches all the time without issue. And if there is ever an issue they are great about taking care of it. Wouldn't use and recommend them otherwise.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JFK78
They offered to inspect your 2nd hand used clutch for you, which is all you can ask for. You obviously decided that you already know what is going to happen and are refusing CC's support, so just go buy another clutch already.

We sell, install, and use CC clutches all the time without issue. And if there is ever an issue they are great about taking care of it. Wouldn't use and recommend them otherwise.
Read the thread. I stated I will be buying a new clutch. Go figure!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eg6 type-R
as far as i know, CC is the only place that has been having bad clutches..
i need a new clutch..
any recommendations?
im making 200whp nd plan to run NOS so 300whp
Go ACT for that power range, I've had 3 installed on all different platforms, Sohc Daily, turbo Sohc 250hp 6puck sprung , DOHC turbo 99 B16 (Most Recent) 370Hp 6 puck sprung, not ONE problem whatsoever, just make sure you go with OEM Honda throw bearings and you will be fine.

Last edited by m3tech95; 02-25-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m3tech95
Go ACT for that power range, I've had 3 installed on all different platforms, Sohc Daily, turbo Sohc 250hp 6puck sprung , DOHC turbo 99 B16 (Most Recent) 370Hp 6 puck sprung, not ONE problem whatsoever, just make sure you go with OEM Honda throw bearings and you will be fine.
where can i find the ACT clutches?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My CC stg 4 in my 200whp integra R took a **** within a 1000 miles, had high rpm lockout, scraped gears, eventually broke a shifter selector. all the pads were broken apart. they told me it was pilot bearing grease on the pads caused it and would not do anything for me. I'm going a different route this time.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another CC stage 4 taking a dump around 1000 miles?

Sounds like someone has this story on repeat.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM
EK9

Damn now I'm scared I just ordered a cc stage 4
Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CC's are junk.. way too many people have problems with it.. think about it.. do u really want to take ur tranny ON/OFF if something goes wrong with the clutch?? i did that 2-3 time the same week and got frustrated with it that i just left it on and waiting for my new ACT clutch to arrive

SAVE YOURSELVES A HUGE HEADACHE AND GO WITH A DIFFERENT CLUTCH BESIDES COMPETITION
Old 03-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Eg6typer, something is definitely up with their clutches. I've been a lurker on here for a long time and have been seeing bad threads on here about the high rpm lockout. I bought two (2) of their stage 4s because most ht vendors support certain companies and invariably you end up buying what they have readily available. I've had high rpm lockout both times, it's so bad that I don't race my car any more because I have to granny shift it so it won't rake or damage anything. I'm actually looking to buy another clutch right now (that's how I ended up in the trans section). Looking for a good quality single disc setup that will hold the boost and no high rpm lockout. Was considering SPEC clutch. Any opinions????

Strange thing is, at first I couldn't/wouldn't believe a brand new clutch was shitting on me, so I bought new carbon synchros and springs for the gearbox. STILL RAKED!!! What has me somewhat annoyed is that high rpm lockout threads have been on here since 2009, I can't understand why they can't get their stuff right by now. Do they think they can tell everyone its always an install error??

I like that the clutch actually holds and doesn't slip @20 psi 6262, I like that the pedal feel is soft and totally daily drivable. I have done alot of reading on this eg6typer, even on eighthgencivic.com someone pinned it down to the pressure plates not disengaging enough because of kit supplied throw out bearing being different than oem honda bearing. Some of them are using the stage 4 disc with a different pressure plate.

Question is. Are we willing to take off and put on gearbox enough times to figure out exactly what the problem is??

To competition clutch: Your product has great support from the honda community, please take the time seriously to fix this problem and stop telling people who have been installing clutches in cars for years and years that it's constant install error BS. I've noticed that your rep in this thread has stated that when a replacement clutch goes out you test it, how about doing better quality control on clutch specs/manufacturing.

To Eg6typer: Let me know how the act performs when you install, how the pedal feel is and if it holds the power or not. what is the exact act combination that you are getting?? Sad thing is I have seen a few evo and toyota gt starlet guys where I live have problems with act discs with rivets breaking and the centre section actually separating from the outer section. That, and springs coming out of the disc and fragging up stuff.

Last edited by shanebadoo; 03-03-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have raced a few cars with my cc stage 4 clutch. It has been a couple weeks now. I still have no issues at high rpm shifting, gears shift smooth. I am happy.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a fully built b16 boosted and i plan on making 400+ once its all said and done and last year i was making a little over 300hp and smoked my xtd and am ready to get a new clutch i drive my car on the street here and there and take it to the track but i was planning on going with an ACT idk 4 or 6 puck or sprung or unsprung havent figured that out yet but i was looking at the maxx extreme kits from act but someone told me with a heavier pressure plate (h025XX or h025XXX) it will probably cause me to have gear lockout at high rpm's and he said go with the XT pressure plate with a 6 puck unsprung disc? i just wanted to get some info on if the heavier duty pressure plate can cause gear lockout or anything....since i am still learning alot about this part of the game
Old 03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always used CC products in both my race cars and street cars. I did actually have a legitimate high of rpm shifting problem and CC swapped the clutch out for free after testing the original clutch and finding no problems with it. When I installed the new one I had the same problem. So I borrowed other clutches from friends and the shop I work in but still had the same problem. So I tried other transmissions and had the same high rpm lock out. After 3 or 4 clutches and 3 Transmissions the problem ended up being a faulty eagle crank that was not straight from end to end. I still use CC products and love them.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How was the eagle crank the problem? Please explain, I'm trying to understand. Give details please.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Eagle can not build a straight crank to save their lives. If a crank is not straight it will cause massive vibrations at the flywheel. It wasn't a bad enough vibration to feel through out the car but it was bad enough to stop the clutch disc from moving smoothly on the input shaft. So at high rpm' s over around 6500 the clutch couldn't disengage properly therefore hanging the car in gear till the rpm dropped.

Trust me the last thing I wanted to be wrong with my car was the high dollar light weight knife edged eagle crank I had just shelled out a bunch of money for. I purchased it brand new and that's when my shifting issues began. So like I said I tried a bunch of different trannies and clutches with no positive and results. So as a last ditch effort and on a tip from a friend that had the exact same problem after installing an eagle stroker kit in his car I took my bottom end back apart that I had paid a remachine machine shop to assemble. I found a ruined block with broken dowel pins between the main caps and some minor but premature bearing wear. I rebuilt using a new bare block, OEM crank, same rods and pistons and the same competition clutch. Wouldn't you know it the car shifted flawlessly. So the only thing changed was the eagle crank that I then sent to a machinist to determine what was wrong with the eagle crank. He chucked it up on a lathe and found that it was 6thousandthsa out from end to end.

Since I had all those problems I only build with factory OEM cranks.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

850disco850 that is the first time I've heard that particular one. Now I wonder, I have an eagle crank too. Truth is I had a standard gsr crank before as well and had the same problem with high rpm lockout. I'm 90% sure it's the pressure plate, I have swapped many things and the only common denominator is the cc pressure plate. In fact, I bought my eagle crank from a customer's car that I built as well. In his car with the exact same eagle crank, we had no problems shifting at high rpms. That time he used an exedy clutch kit stage 3 with a lightened fidanza flywheel. In my case, as with a lot of the others I think it's the pressure plate simply not disengaging enough.

To test your flywheel not straight theory, I jacked up the car, started it and held a piece of chalk against the flywheel with a stand. (I know it's not an exact test) It held straight with the chalk test. That's just my case with this crank.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have cc stage 4 after installed i started to have miss shift problem man from first to second at high rev.. almost every time i race i miss shift from that first to 2nd..
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had two Competition Clutch Stage 4 6-puck sprungs at 350-400 whp usage. Got 34,500 miles out of the first one and at roughly 12,000 miles on my current one with 24.5" slick usage and 2nd gear burnouts. During that time, I've never missed a shift or had a gear lock out while shifting at 8,600 rpm. I've only had a 2nd gear "scrape" which was synchro and sleeve related, and a 4th gear "scratch" which was synchro related.

I have personally had friends have issues with the CC Stage 2 full face discs. And even after I've adjusted their pedals BOTH ways, the issues remained and I couldn't alleviate them. I think Competition has had a few issues for sure (I've seen one misdrilled PP, but I believe they use Honda PPs so not sure if that was CCs fault or not), but I think much of it stems from install and other issues as well.