Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

BMXA Rebuild - reverse gear hub distance

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMXA Rebuild - reverse gear hub distance

Good morning,

So I'm rebuilding my BMXA for the first time, and when I pulled the reverse selector hub/4th gear off the countershaft with a 3 jaw puller (because it was pressed on there) I forgot to measure the distance between the reverse selector hub and 4th gear.

After replacing 3rd clutch discs etc. I tapped the hub/4th gear with a brass hammer back down the shaft and the hub is just sitting right above the 4th gear, allowing the 4th gear to spin freely.

Does anybody know the distance between these parts? Honda has a part, which is just a collar with a closed end and you use that to press the parts back down......so obviously there's a certain length to that.

Any help? How can I know they're in the right location? And.....on another forum guys were using an actual press to get those back in.....did I make a mistake by taping them in with a brass hammer? It looks fine to me.....The splines look a little shinier than normal near that area....but I'm thinking it's just from pulling it off the shaft. Still straight, no dents or anything like that.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Sarah