Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

B18B1/B16 Spoon LSD Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default B18B1/B16 Spoon LSD Question

Hey guys,

I just purchased a Spoon LSD used for cheap locally. It did not come with the VSS gear/shaft. Additionally, the speedo gear teeth are a bit chewed up/damaged/chipped.

I have several questions as a result.

1.) With the damaged speedo gear teeth, will my diff still drive the VSS? I don't care about any noises, just need functionality.
2.) If I run without the VSS gear in the sensor, what functionality will I lose?
3.) Where can I buy the gear and shaft for less than something astronomical?

So far the most economical option I've found is a gear/shaft assembly for a Cusco LSD (P/N: LSD 128 DGA). I've seen that there are similarities between Cusco and Kaaz and I've heard that Spoon is the same as Kaaz, so I'm wondering if it will fit.

The least economical option I've found is a genuine Spoon gear/shaft, but it's $225 without shipping...

Pics of the diff are attached below:

Old 01-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: B18B1/B16 Spoon LSD Question

As long as the teeth are straight and not burred over it will function.

If you haven't already I would tear it down and inspect it. If it's in bad shape it might be a toss up between rebuilding and just ordering a new LSD.

You can order a Kaaz gear, the Spoon LSD is just a relabeled Kaaz. I've never compared any of the drive gears side by side so I can't say if the Cusco gear will work.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
As long as the teeth are straight and not burred over it will function.

If you haven't already I would tear it down and inspect it. If it's in bad shape it might be a toss up between rebuilding and just ordering a new LSD.

You can order a Kaaz gear, the Spoon LSD is just a relabeled Kaaz. I've never compared any of the drive gears side by side so I can't say if the Cusco gear will work.
i ended up ordering the kaaz due to a recommendation from a friend who said he and another racer also had this issue and both bought the kaaz gear. I can update this thread when i get the gear to show how they mesh.

what do you recommend opening up and looking for specifically?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Check the cam, springs, plates, discs and gears.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I opened it up and the plates all look good and the clutches look good and so do the Belleville springs, thrust washers, and gears...sweet!

I got the Kaaz gear as well. I’ve included some pix of that for people who are curious. I’ll update the thread when I start building the trans and let u all know if the Kaaz gear does indeed fit the spoon housing (despite already being told it would by a reliable source)

Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: I got the trans in the car. The gear appears to read speed to my dash correctly.

I haven't been able to drive it at speed yet because it's a race car and not registered or inspected or insured. However the car was in the air and it revved past 5000 RPMs which indicates to me that the VSS worked since it would be in limp mode if it didn't.

I'll be going to Lime Rock in two days and I'll know then if my diff works and if the speedo gear works...spare trans will be on-hand...
Old 07-17-2019, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so update again...even though no one is responding...

figured it'd be good to share wealth of knowledge...

Car handles MUCH better with this new diff OMG. Hanging on the outside of turn 1 at Lime Rock Park where all of the clag and debris is from peoples' tires and dirt is now possible at speed. It makes the clunking sound under load at low speeds which is normal. I'm running Torco RTF trans fluid.

Can't think of much more to add.

Here are some pics of the clutch plates I used-- Kaaz said they were no good. I used them anyway.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Most hard core road racers prefer a clutch type LSD over a Torsen type. It sounds like you are sold on it as well. Congratulations and good job on the install.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Most hard core road racers prefer a clutch type LSD over a Torsen type. It sounds like you are sold on it as well. Congratulations and good job on the install.
Thanks for the kind words bro.

I race Honda Challenge and all of the FWD guys know the clutch type is the way. More maintenance and $$$ overall but the corner grip is nuts.

I was running a torsen because I got a good deal on a syncrotech that already had one in it. Great for maintenance purposes (so easy and cheap) but nowhere near as fast as my competitors. Really had to drive the crap out of the car to get corner exit speed and mid-corner grip (I also had a stock final drive).