Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

b-series franken-trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b-series franken-trans

Hey guys,
Im working on a trans setup for my 91 hatch with a b series in it.
I believe the cable trans I have is a 92-93 ls trans. The output splines fit the clutch disk from my 99 gsr hydro trans. It has 64 teeth on the ring gear I believe.

My original plan was to gut the cable trans and put the full internals from my hydro gsr tranny into the cable case.
What I found was that the gsr diff was a bit biggert than the cable one and wasnt going to fit easily.
My new plan is to use the hydro clutch housing, with the cable case so that my mounts still work, and order a hydro clutch pedal adapter kit.

As far as I could see last night everything fits together, the diff doesnt bind I lucked out and had a correct size shim in my toolbox.
Only thing I dont have is the right tools to measure mainshaft thrust/endplay.

Has anyone else run a setup like this before with good results? Im really hoping this trans doesnt explode on the dyno because one small thing was slightly different between the 2 cases.
Any suggestions and ideas are gladly welcomed. If all goes well I should be testing out this setup next week.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: b-series franken-trans

It will work just fine. Make sure you shim the mainshaft correctly.

The GSR diff has no problem fitting the YS1 housings though, so not sure where you got that info. You need to have the correct ring gear and countershaft setup for it though, so keep your GSR's 4.400 final drive together (the 4.266 LS ring gear won't fit the GSR diff anyhow).
Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Im not positive what transmission the cable one was. Reason being, I got it from a 90 integra parts car, that a friend used to own. And at one point he needed to replace the clutch and purchased one for a 90 integra and the disk didnt fit the splines.
My gsr hydro clutch fits it just fine, which makes me believe its the 92-93.
So i shaved the corners off the fins inside the cable case and the gsr diff still was too big. It was contacting the case in a few spots. mainly being the face of the differential just inside the speedo gear.
But anyhow, Its now assembled with a hydro bell housing and I will be using hydro clutch. The cable case fit on everything nicely.
Im however, unclear on how to measure mainshaft thrust. I saw the precedure in a helms manual but the used some special tools.
I have some dial indicators from my cam degree setup. Could I use those to figure something out?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:57 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use .008-.010" gap between the cases with only the mainshaft installed.

This give the same crush as using the puller as shown in the helms.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you eleborate on this?

i don't have a puller but i would like to complete my measurements when assembling a tranny again...

have skipped the main shaft clearance part on my tranny rebuilds sofar because i have no puller...
i'd like to find a way without puller...