Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Axle does not look fully seated. (PIC inside)

Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Axle does not look fully seated. (PIC inside)

GSR trans. The axle is completely bottomed out inside transmission and it looks like this. Look alright?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Axle does not look fully seated. (PIC inside)

another 1/2" to go!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres my thread from last week:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/loud-knocking-clunking-crunching-noises-inside-trans-3031203/
I was hoping this axles was the problem. I pulled it and had a look, everything seems fine. Put it back in and can hear/feal it going all the way back in. See how shiny that last 1/2" is, made me think thats how its always been because there was no grease/oil from the seal past that point? Axles are DSS 2.9 going into MFactory lsd. These axles do have about a 1/2" longer sealing area that goes past the seal compared to stock axles.

Last edited by portenio78; 03-04-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by portenio78
And what came out of all that? Diff seems fine? Doesn't move in the case?

Put it back in and can hear/feal it going all the way back in.
I think what you're feeling is the circlip binding up, you have to start the axle in the splined hole, grab the outer joint and give a quick snap in and it should seat. The guys beating on outer joints with hammers are just being ridiculous, there's no need for it.

See how shiny that last 1/2" is, made me think thats how its always been because there was no grease/oil from the seal past that point?
You're making an observation here, but drawing the wrong conclusion. That part of the axle is shiny because it's polished by the seal and protected from air and water.

Axles are DSS 2.9 going into MFactory lsd. These axles do have about a 1/2" longer sealing area that goes past the seal compared to stock axles.
1/2 longer on both sides or just one? I ran across an axle once that had the wrong inner joint and wouldn't go in all the way.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No matter what I did with the axle, this is as far as it would go in. I have
had this combo of axle, trans, diff working great for the last 2years and some sixty plus 10.XX passes. Could something gone so wrong in the trans that it pushed the axles out this far? Maybe I can take another shot at it, but this time take the retainer clip off and see how far it goes in.

Thanks for the help so far guy. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it figured out. The DSS axle inner joint housing is so much bigger than the stock axle, they made the splines longer to clear the trans housing. Thats why its out further than a stock axle. Never really noticed it this since I have been on these bad boys for 2 years after always breaking stockers, and have not had to service axles since then. Yes, the stock axles go all the way in with their inner joint housing coming to rest about an 1/8th" from the trans.

Conclusion: Need to pull trans and open her up.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced a clutch In my car , the axles need to go in flush no matter oem or not , because I have don't this job 2 the first time oem axles = no problem, then 2nd clutch autozone axles and they looked the same ! Until I took a towel/ rag , 2x4 and hammer to axles inside boot and it fully seated, fairly easy. Just don't brake the rubber seal or greas every place and goodbye axles.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BobbyRodriguez
I just replaced a clutch In my car , the axles need to go in flush no matter oem or not , because I have don't this job 2 the first time oem axles = no problem, then 2nd clutch autozone axles and they looked the same ! Until I took a towel/ rag , 2x4 and hammer to axles inside boot and it fully seated, fairly easy. Just don't brake the rubber seal or greas every place and goodbye axles.
Uhm NO,
Have you ever seen a DSS axle. These are both hydro B-series axles, the DSS only looks longer becuase it was brand new and not compressed yet. Look at how much bigger the inner housing is, and you can barely see also that from the splines to the housing, there is about a 1 inch length difference. This is to clear the trans case from the oversized inner housing!