Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Auto trans goes into gear then false neutral. Idle surge

Old 05-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto trans goes into gear then false neutral. Idle surge

Hey guys, great info here .However im not having any luck finding anything pertaining to my issue.
2002 honda ody, auto trans. Bought van, trans had bad 2nd gear clutches, and possibly bad trans pump (bought it this way) also had an idle surge, tcs, abs and a trans code. Tested all solenoid all tested fine.
So....
I bought and replaced the trans with a working used transmission, new front abs sensors and other odds and ends.
All connectors are on, and fluid levels are at spec.
my only current cel code is for VVT oil pressure sensor which is broken ( happened during install of trans) tcs light and abs light are still on.
( Using my original TCM)

Start van, COLD goes into any gear of your choice for 5-10 min. Eventually the idle will start to surge and trans goes into false nuetral. Only goes into park (7/10 times the idle surge disappears after going into park within a min or 2)
Cycle ignition problem persists. Just goes into a false nuetral and will idle surge .
Now if I disconnect battery for 15 seconds, the van will go into any gear and move until you switch gears ie D to R or R to D.
At that point .False nuetral and idle surge. Until I unhook battery for 15 seconds.
I HAVE checked IAC on motor, a few other intake sensors, vacuum lines all the basics and the a/b pressure switch on top of new trans .
I also bypassed the cooler using a clear hose.
I notice I have pressure at initial start up and while in gear BUT when it goes into false nuetral and idle surge the clear cooler line hose seems to empty out and attempt to spit fluid but is not a constant pressure. Cycle ignition and nothing changes instant P to false neutral
Now if I Cycle battery and I regain pressure in line and can go into any gear again, until of course I switch to another and repeat process.
I have hose bungee up to see fluid flow from cabin.
I don't see a pressure increase if I idle up while its doing its symptoms.
Also I have no d4 gear light illuminate at all while in gear .All others illuminate
Prior to swap it was flwashing d4
unsure why the selector is not lighting up d4 but maybe it will help diagnose.
Any thoughts honda gurus?

Last edited by Nwi Dakota; 05-17-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-18-2018, 02:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Auto trans goes into gear then false neutral. Idle surge

these odyssey's have issues with overheating due to insufficient cooler flow, there is an improvement kit from Transmaxx that a rebuilder can use to improve the flow to the TC

i would say it needs a rebuild and a new TC, florida torque converters has good reviews

i would probably swap in another ecu just to start