Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on a fishy "gsr" transmission. Need a guru

Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Advise on a fishy "gsr" transmission. Need a guru

Alright transmission gurus, I've been looking for a good gsr transmission locally for a while. A GSR transmission came up for sale today for $800. The guy says it has OEM LSD, but that is not my concern as I have a quaife waiting for it. The concern is that it has a DC2 Vin plate but the bell housing is stamped S4. Through my research I've found that S4 means "EK" chassis like the EM1. Several posts say the S4 stamp is 99-00 Si transmission. The other red flag is he said it rides at 5000 Rpm in 5th gear at 80mph. Though a GSR should be 4000-4100 ish at 80mph, right? The transmission is very clean but the VIN tag looks like it may have been messed with, scratches ect. Idk how easy it is to do that but I'm skeptical at this point. I'll include a picture of the VIN tag which also clearly shows the S4 stamp.
What do you guys think. I highley doubt someone swapped all GSR gears into a b16 housing and swapped the VIN.... Any advise is helpful, I've read all the transmission guides I came across. Thanks, Ian

Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advise on a fishy "gsr" transmission. Need a guru

That VIN plate has been tampered with. Walk away.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can see the pry marks along with the fingerprint of the original rivet.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
That VIN plate has been tampered with. Walk away.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, and with the S4 stamp it's gotta be a b16 transmission. Probly a stolen 99 si transmission that someone rebadged with a DC2 Vin plate to get more money for it. I'm gonna try to pry more info out of him and probably let him know what's up and hopefully he will be honest and either open it and check the gearing or sell it as what it is.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The two transmissions are worth the same in my neck of the woods. I do agree it has been tampered with but why? Like you say, possibly stolen but why not just remove the vin and leave it at that. Some people's logic
Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex View Post
The two transmissions are worth the same in my neck of the woods. I do agree it has been tampered with but why? Like you say, possibly stolen but why not just remove the vin and leave it at that. Some people's logic
Yeah the only other logical explanations are someone had a donor GSR transmission with a damaged casing or something and swapped everything over including the vin, but that still dosent explain 5000 Rpm at 80mph.

Or they used the b16 housing because the mount was different for the Integra vs civic, and it was in an EM1. If it really does have GSR internals I'd still like to have it but I'm not gonna drive an hour + to count the teeth. He won't open and check cause he dosent know how.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:22 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I'm assuming the zeal autoworks Honda tranny calculator is accurate. Selecting the ratios for a GSR and for a B16, it looks like the GSR has a 2nd ratio of 1.900 and the B16 has a 2nd ratio of 2.105, with both having a 4.4 FD. If my math is right, the sketch below (I modified the original, which was done to differentiate D-series L3 transmissions) should show you how to tell the difference without opening the case. You can ask the seller to do this and it should tell you if it's actually a B16 or a GSR transmission. Of course, that's assuming you trust him to give the truthful answer. This was free advice, so take it for what it's worth.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX View Post
I'm assuming the zeal autoworks Honda tranny calculator is accurate. Selecting the ratios for a GSR and for a B16, it looks like the GSR has a 2nd ratio of 1.900 and the B16 has a 2nd ratio of 2.105, with both having a 4.4 FD. If my math is right, the sketch below (I modified the original, which was done to differentiate D-series L3 transmissions) should show you how to tell the difference without opening the case. You can ask the seller to do this and it should tell you if it's actually a B16 or a GSR transmission. Of course, that's assuming you trust him to give the truthful answer. This was free advice, so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks, This is good useful information will definitely refer to this in the future if needed. He apparently sold the transmission already so I'll never know. I'm still on the hunt for a good gsr transmission, really trying to avoid buying one from hmotorsonline cause shipped it would cost me around $1150
Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an FYI. It's illegal to remove the VIN plate. It's officer discretion to impound a car if they see a VIN that has been tampered with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: