Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

99 Accord auto trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Accord auto trans problems

Hello all, newbie here to the site and to Honda as well.

My wife purchased a 99 Accord the other day. It is an LX with the 4 cylinder engine and auto transmission. When she first brought it in it ran and drove great with no problems at all. She left in it a couple of days ago and with no warnings whatsoever, it started giving transmission problems and the service engine soon light came on. The codes that were in it was the ELD and improper gear ratio. I replaced the ELD and changed the fluid in the transmission. When I put it in gear to test drive it, it takes several seconds to take gear( in forward or reverse) and then when I take off it slips out of gear and the engine rpms go up. It ease off the throttle and it will go back in gear. It seems to have plenty off power but after a few feet it comes back out of gear( almost like you shift to neutral). The actual symptoms are like the filter stopped up or being extremely low on fluid. So do any of you have some advice I can try? She really wants this car running, it is her favorite body style. I have never worked on foreign cars so I really don't know a lot about them. If it were a Ford I would already have it fixed. Any help will be greatly appreciated, have a great day!