Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Transmission & Drivetrain (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/)
-   -   97 b18c5 popping out of reverse (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/97-b18c5-popping-out-reverse-3089644/)

4drctr420 09-19-2012 11:31 AM

97 b18c5 popping out of reverse

Im having problems with my reverse on a 97 USDM type r motor.
I swapped the motor about 4 months ago, and driven 7500 km so far, and the problem started after about 3000 km. I have been avoiding reverse all summer. But I think it will be hard to avoid reverse in the winter.

The problem starte with not being able to get into the reverse position unless I reved the motor a bit while trying to push the shifter into reverse, slowly releasing the clutch untill I heard it start to engage then pop the clutch and slam into reverse. At this point in time it would stay in reverse ,but after a bit it started to pop.

About the same time the problem started a spring in the clutch broke so I bought an exedy oem clutch and fidanza flywheel and actually paid to have it installed due to a shortage of free time. This helped as in I could now get into reverse without popping the clutch, but it still would not fully engage and still popped out of reverse.

Also sometimes I have trouble getting into 1st from a stop, it will go into 3rd when it feels like I'm putting it in 1st, so I just have to push the shifter to the left a bit more and it goes into 1st and the problem doesn't happen again for a while( prob happens when I decelerate to 3rd to neutral instead of 3rd-2nd-N when coming to a stop.

Originally I thought it might be the 5/r synchro sleve, but due to the problem with shifting into first I believe it could be a bent shift linkage or shift rod. Also I have checked to make sure the linkage isn't binding on the exhaust or anything, and I can't shift into reverse even with the motor off, and it isn't fully going into position for sure because my reverse light isnt epostponing off,

Forgive me if some parts make no sense, I was writing this post throughout a day of work and for some reason my phone was giving me problems trying to edit.

Gearspeed-Performance 09-20-2012 06:49 AM

Re: 97 b18c5 popping out of reverse

Could be an issue with the selector, or the case could be worn allowing movement in the selector or fork. Hard to say without opening it and inspecting.

4drctr420 09-20-2012 09:58 AM

Thanks for the input, if the 5/r synchro sleeve was damaged would it still allow me to get the transmission into reverse far enough for the reverse light to come on?
Also I'm planning on getting a b20b/z crv 5speed trans for the winter, but from what I remember from my crv days the output shaft for the Rwd prevents you from installing an integra exhaust manifold. Will my oem 4-2-1 manifold not allow me to use a 4wd trans? Also I think it has a cable linkage.

4drctr420 09-23-2012 05:14 AM

Bump

archer34 09-27-2012 09:45 PM

i have the same problem i have honda city 2005 when i shift reverse it pops and after minute it will jerk then when shift back to drive it looks like the car hard to pull