Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

92 Honda Civic issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Honda Civic issue

I just bought this car off someone and it has been converted to 5 speed. Not entierly sure what happened here. Drove the car home from work. Parked it in neutral with ebrake on. I was messing with some wiring inside the car and had to release the ebreak so it was out of my way. I put the car in gear so it didn't move. I get done, leave for the day in my truck, and come back home. I got in my car to move it. I put in reverse, tried to go and it moved forward ever so slightly, instead of backwards. I tried again, didn't move at all. Then all of a sudden I was able to move my stick around freely. I pushed the car off to the side of the drive and notice something is dragging. It was dark so I haven't got to fully inspect it yet, but I think the shift lever came off. There is a bar coming from where the shifter goes through the floor and goes tward the front. I went to the driveway to where the car was, and found a nut and a bolt laying right where the lever fell off at (left a mark in the gravel). Is this an easy fix? I assume it wasn't tightend properly and vibrated loose over time. I was on a rough gravel road a couple days ago. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 92 Honda Civic issue

Sorry for the long post guys. It's late at night and I have to be up in 5 hours for work.. I'm new to the thread so please excuse me. I believe this is a D15 motor. Don't know anything about the transmission. Honestly, this is my first Honda and I don't know anything about them. I'm by far no mechanic, but I do try and do most repairs on my own. I hope this is a simple fix. I'll look at it more after work.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: 92 Honda Civic issue

If it is the stabilizer rod that has fallen off, there would only be a short bolt and a pair of large washers... one is almost flat and the outer one is cone shaped. The fact that you said you found a bolt and nut suggests that the selector rod has come off. This is normally held together with a roll pin and a safety cir-clip... lazy hacks use a nut and bolt to hold these parts together. The shifter will feel sloppy and there is always a chance that the nut falls off and the bolt falls out... ending in the position you are in. In the daylight, you will get a better look. Since you have an alternative form of transportation, I suggest you get the PROPER parts to repair this from your local Honda Parts Dept. and fix it in a few days.