Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

90 Civic SI ISB changed, but! *With Pics*

Old 06-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Civic SI ISB changed, but! *With Pics*

I got the ISB and seal replaced, but I was hoping someone could take a look at these pictures to see if everything looks right.

The interlock bolt went in smooth and I believe everything is put together properly. Problem is that I can only get what I believe to be gears 1-4 right now. I even have the shifter rod still connected so I have good leverage for gear changes. I can get the 4 gears where the shaft coming in is basically at rest, but the gears on the side where you have to overcome the heavier spring wont go in. Maybe I'm not pushing/pulling hard enough, but it felt like I was. For reference, the transmission is still laying on the floor and I haven't put the top cover back on it yet.

Great resources here and I'd just like a yay or nay before I button this thing up.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2018, 01:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 90 Civic SI ISB changed, but! *With Pics*

Old 06-30-2018, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Played around with it a little more and can get it into all the gears. Everything seems to spin fine too.

Gonna seal it back up this morning and hopefully get it all back in today.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2018, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First reassembly attempt was a fail. I got the snap ring back in and the input shaft tightened up. The case got stiff on the "working" end of the transmission at that point so I stopped and pulled it apart.

Using this as reference- DIY: Tranny removal and Input Shaft Bearing change - D-series.org

I've never seen mention of this other than in the above link, but should we be reseating the countershaft bearing while the transmission is apart? Mine was out a good amount but I left it because thats the way it was. I'm trying to think of what made the input shaft and case bind, thinking thats a possible option.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If the countershaft bearing isn't seated in the snap ring the transmission will bind. You can seat it by flipping the tranmission upside and down and dropping it from a few inches up or by using a small prybar and prying under a corner of the nut (I use the latter method most of the time, but be careful not to break the case.

I've always bolted the case together and then seated the countershaft bearing.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks.

I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the countershaft bearing which is under the gear cluster and pressed into the case. The bearing right next to the ISB which we normally change. I reseated it before assembling the transmission again.

I was able to get the transmission put back together. Something odd did happen though. I had the transmission in neutral and kept checking to make sure the input shaft didnt bind while closing it up. I got the transmission closed up and everything went good. However, when I first put it in 1st through 4th gear, the input shaft would only turn a little both ways and stop dead. I put it in reverse and it spun fine, I put it in 5th and it spun fine, then I tried 1-4 again and now its fine.

There really isnt much which can be screwed up. I'm hoping something just wasnt lined up right and wouldnt allow it to spin until I shifted into reverse. Has anyone ran across that?

PS, I plan to have the car on the road again this weekend if all goes well.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On older manual hondas I've had that have had a bit of wear on the tranny, I've had to sometimes put it in reverse to put it in 1st or visa versa at times when it won't originally go into gear. I think it has something to do with the wear of the tranny. Not sure if this is your case but kinda sounds like it.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:34 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I understand now. yes you need to tap that bearing in so that it's flush with the case. I can't say conclusively if it will make it bind like that but I suspect so. I can say for sure that it will make it pop out of second gear though. Tap it back down and stake it in with a punch to prevent it from walking out again.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car is up and running again. Shifts good and the trans is quiet.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-04-2018, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

What was the fix ???
Old 07-05-2018, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not exactly sure.

The project started as an ISB change, but the assembly got tight the first time I tried to reassemble. I pulled it back apart, reseated the countershaft bearing into the case and carefully put the cases back together. All is well now.