Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

600hp+ Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600hp+ Tranny problem

Hello friends. I've tried several times to contact Mfactory because of my problem. Unfortunately without success. Now I hope that I find the solution here.

I have two Problems with my transmission.
my (MFactory PRO Series Gears) transmission is damaged.
Maybe i used wrong oil...it was a GL4/5 Valvoline 75W-90 Full Synthetic Syn Power TDL oil but not Torco GL6

But is that really the reason why now, two upper bearings broken?

1)
I know many drag racers use a 5th brace in place of the 5th gears to support the shafts. Elsewhere the bearings will need to replace more often.
I believe it is due to the different thrust angle causing more stress on the top bearings. Do you know of anything that will help with the bearing failure with the Pro series gears???
Maybe another Transmission Case? Or Bearings? Or do anyone have now a 5th gear with a same teeth like the 1th -4th gear?

2)
Can you explain to me why a 1th synchro always breaks off a piece of? ALWAYS! Is my clutch (Tilton Carbon/Carbon twin plate) maybe the reason?
Is it too hard for my synchros? Would the carbon synchro help? Or should I take another clutch? should i take the Tilton Flow Control Valve?

Mfactory sell their transmission at the Homepage as:
"The ultimate setup for the everyday street car, our PRO Series Synchro Gear Sets are designed to withstand high-horsepower boosted applications! A highly recommended upgrade for those running 400hp+."

Well my Integra GSR B18C4 has 612whp and 500 torque
I am not a dragracer, I need my 5th Gear & I don’t want to change every month my 1th synchro, and my bearings…

What shell I do?

I like to ride through the city. Mostly use only the first three gears. And sometimes I drive the German Autobahn(Highway) with no speed limit ... At high speed 160-170 mph, but should hold such a transmission. Or am I wrong? As I said in the first 3 gears I never drive fast. Anyway i have no traction.

But i need the 4 th and 5th to kill the german racecars
And I need my 1 th synchro to ride through the city.

My Transmission is one month old… that is the second time the transmission is damaged…

Are there any cooler or strengthening or any other Cases with bigger/better bearings or 5th gear for that Transmission?
thats my ride:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/honda-integra-turbo-600-whp-happy-2943662/

Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 03:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 600hp+ Tranny problem

I am sure MFactory will chime in soon. Steve is easy to get a hold of so I am not sure how you were not able to contact him?? I just spoke with him today. At 600hp I would recommend using the 5th gear cuff. You have to remember that you are putting 600hp through the trans on a straight cut gear set. There is so much force on those bearings and from you video I can tell you love the throttle! So keep the cuff in mind. I understand your point on keeping the 5th gear but something has to give. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) pic of the exploded bearings......

during install did you make SURE the oil passages in the countershaft were clogged with junk, like pieces of old bearing cages?

What about behind the case side bearing?

2) would only happen on 1-2 shift, driver forcing the shift before clutch has released?

What FD are you using? Stock 4.400? Maybe think about a 4.06 and a 5th cuff?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by James@Gearspeed
I am sure MFactory will chime in soon. Steve is easy to get a hold of so I am not sure how you were not able to contact him?? I just spoke with him today. At 600hp I would recommend using the 5th gear cuff. You have to remember that you are putting 600hp through the trans on a straight cut gear set. There is so much force on those bearings and from you video I can tell you love the throttle! So keep the cuff in mind. I understand your point on keeping the 5th gear but something has to give. Good luck!
Neither Steve nor anyone else has answered me.

Why do you then build 700-800whp streetcars if you can not use that?
In the first 3 gears you have no traction, then comes the fourth ... 160-170mph and that's it? are really all 600+whp only 4 speed trannys using the 5th gear cuff??? I can´t believe that.

Dear James do you sell other synchro as Synchrotech ? or is it the same?

@Mista Bone I am using Final Drive Gear -Mfactory PRO Series 4.05

Someone any other Ideas? Other than 5th gear cuff
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I will PM you some info
Old 06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by James@Gearspeed
I will PM you some info
Originally Posted by Synchrotech-Transmissions
Synchrotech and Gearspeed are two different companies with different owners and different products. I worked at Gearspeed as the GM from 2002-2008 when I left to start my own company - Synchrotech. Gearspeed started back in the high performance market recently, selling their spray coated synchros but they are not the same as the full carbon synchros that we have developed and sell at Synchrotech.
thx forget it
Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not think that so many users will help me....

Mfactory think its not necessary to answer my emails...
I do not understand how they can sell such a scrap

Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Try giving them a call. That is probably the best way to get a hold of them. Did you use new bearings when you installed the kit or re-use your original bearings?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is very difficult for me to write in your language. It is much harder for me to make calls on your language

And YES of course i used all bearings new. (Synchrotech)
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah kinda figured! Just trying to help in anyway I can!

Gotta ask on the bearings..you never know? lol

How does the casing look where the bearings sit? As I suggested a cuff will be your best option for keeping those shafts from wanting to fly away from eachother but, you need your 5th gear or highway driving as you stated. The majority of those guys who make that kind of power here in the USA are mainly track cars. Yes, there are "street cars" that do make that power and drive on the street...but, then again we don't have an Autobahn here so they will never "legally" drive at those speeds for long periods of time as they do on the autobahn. They are typically not a full daily driver either. I am sure there are a few but, speaking for the majority. You go straight to jail for that kind of driving here in the USA! lol
Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Trial User

recently had a transmission replaced in my 1990 honda civic ex (automatic)1.6l, and now when I turn the A/C on it shakes whenever I am sitting idle at a stop light; I also noticed it is not as cold as it use to be, and the tachometer doesn't work either.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by winky72
recently had a transmission replaced in my 1990 honda civic ex (automatic)1.6l, and now when I turn the A/C on it shakes whenever I am sitting idle at a stop light; I also noticed it is not as cold as it use to be, and the tachometer doesn't work either.
LOL Dude you are much more crazy than me
Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by u-geen
LOL Dude you are much more crazy than me
LOL!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we reply to every email that we receive, usually within a few hours of receiving it. I'm not sure why you've not received a reply? Are you using the contact form on our website, or a different email address?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used 'info@teamMFactory.com'

and still dont have an answer
Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is our MSN address; no one physically checks that email.

If you submit a Technical Support request via our Contact Form on our website, you will normally get a reply within 24hrs.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now I've removed the second time my transmission. I used it with all new bearings and new synchros less than 50 miles. I'm at the end of my motivation.
It's always the same picture! The upper ball bearing is broken. The synchro first gear and reverse gear synchro little pieces are broken off. So that the gears go in harder and harder. I hoped that no longer is the problem with carbon synchros. But that has not helped.
I have NEVER really accelerates in first gear or reverse gear!

The gear has been assembled by a mechanic using a Honda Transmission manual. All tolerances (clearance) are great!

What is the problem?

If the Tiltonclutch the problem?
Is the Transmission and the Mfactory 5th gear problem?
I used Torco...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmR8k9mrVPk

please help...
Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi U-Geen,

Gearspeed gave you some good advice about the cuff and checking the case for wear.

Unfortunately the straight cut gears are probably not a good fit for your application.

Usually straight cut gears are used with a brace "cuff" to support the shafts and reduce the stress on the top bearings. Your synchro issue is probably caused by your clutch. When the blocking part of the synchro gets hammered on 1st and Reverse it is normally from a clutch that is not fully disengaged.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or driver pulling out of gear by shifting too fast.

If it was a 88-95 SOHC, you'd be breaking shifter forks. I broke my fair share!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Synchrotech-Transmissions
Hi U-Geen,
Gearspeed gave you some good advice about the cuff and checking the case for wear.
Unfortunately the straight cut gears are probably not a good fit for your application.
Usually straight cut gears are used with a brace "cuff" to support the shafts and reduce the stress on the top bearings. Your synchro issue is probably caused by your clutch. When the blocking part of the synchro gets hammered on 1st and Reverse it is normally from a clutch that is not fully disengaged.
First thanks for the replies. The old transmission case was damaged in the bering seat by the defective gearbox bearings. The case was renewed after the last transmission damage.

Ok I understand. I need the brace "cuff". to combine the straight gears with the fifth gear.
Ok I understand: I need another clutch.

But there is also something I do not understand:

Why the hell sells Mfactory that ****? Why they dont immediately tell to their customers: that it is a 4-speed gearbox? Why not recommend the immediate purchase of the brace cuff? They tell something about the Torco oil but NOTHING about the fockin brace cuff.. That Transmisson does cost me in Germany 5000 bucks! And now much more because of the several damages.

Why does Tilton sells their Carbon Carbon clutch? Is it not possible to use it with a synchro tranny? where can I read it? Why do they sell that **** for the next 5.000 bucks, without to tell it to their customers?

I thought if i buy the BEST Products in the world, they will / must work. I am very angry and sad about that. Dont know what to do now. Threw away the straight gears? and the Tilton Carbon Twin plate too?

Should i go down to 550 whp and take my OEM tranny and CC Stage 4/5?
Eugen
That is the description of Mfactory for their Close Ratio Gears - PRO Series:

"The ultimate setup for the everyday street car, our PRO Series Synchro Gear Sets are designed to withstand high-horsepower boosted applications! A highly recommended upgrade for those running 400hp+.
By keeping our gears synchronous engagement, our gears are a direct swap for your oem gears with no further parts required for installation and, unlike a dog transmission, are suitable for a daily driver."

Last edited by u-geen; 07-18-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That was the reply of Mfactory today:
Hello Eugene,

Thanks for your email. I just discussed the matter with another General Manager. I apologize that that we have not been able to tend to your technical question until you have brought it to our attention. I thank you for your patience as it is evident you have been very frustrated with this matter.

I do not know the exact details as to how you came across this gearset before you made the purchase, but I assure you that I want to ensure that you get the proper support since you've gone through many trials to try and get the gears to work properly for your application.

There have been some thoughtful suggestions on the honda-tech forum and we believe that it does stem from the fact that the stock 5th gear is being used and alternatively the tilton you have been using may also be the cause. The gearset has been designed to be used in the US market for street FWD cars which is a class meant for drag racing.

A lot of these Street FWD cars are also daily driven, hence the requirement for a synchronous engagement gear set that can also withstand the power. However, most of these Street FWD cars, when driven on the road, have the boost turned down. Unfortunately, in your situation, running 600whp+ consistently on a daily driver will take a toll on your oem transmission parts, regardless of whether you are running our gears or not.

If you are to continue running at such a high hp, then our recommendation would be to run a 5th gear brace. If the oem 5th gear is a necessity, then your only option would be to turn down your boost.

Please email me again should you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Patrick Seto
General Manager
THE Replacement for Displacement!
www.teammfactory.com
It is a really very bad joke ...
Mfactory are kidding their customers! I do not have an another explanation for that! I'm sorry!
What should I do with a 4-speed transmission on the highway? Chokes really all street racers in the U.S. its power to 300 hp? OMG this is gay.
And if they take that Brace Cuff, then passes you on the highway, a Porsche or even a Golf GTI with 175 mph because your fourth gear only goes to 170? God, this is soooo bad.

It is an outrage to sell the the Straight Gears at the Homepage as "High Performance Parts" while to forget such an important detail:
NOT FOR STREETRacer! ONLY DRAG RACER !!!
PLEASE TAKE Focking brace the cuff! Otherwise, your transmission is keeping undamaged less than 10 minutes of full throttle!

I can not prove today that it has always been the brace cuff on the homepage of Mfactory. But you must not disappoint the customers!

I will try to sell the Tilton carbon clutch and the straight Gears of Mfactory in Europe. If it does not work, I will throw the **** in the garbage.

Thank You Mfactory for the three damaged transmissions and a lot of time.

BUT there is a one very good thing in that story:

i am able to screw my transmission off very fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oajL...el_video_title
Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any chances of a custom cuff that can retain the 5th gear?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am not able to
Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In the United States we dont go 160mph on the highway however while "supercars" like Porsche and Lambos are capable of doing these types of things... a cuff that maintains the 5th gear would be a nice invention.

You should also consider a transmission oil cooler/ ventilation system...
Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check this out to: http://www.ht-archive.org/showthread.php?t=2768707

Quick Reply: 600hp+ Tranny problem