Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

2007 civic SI - Hard to get into gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 civic SI - Hard to get into gears

For a few months I've been having trouble getting my car into any of the gears. Clutch is in all the way, but the shifter fights me going into gear. It's alot worse the colder it is. Anything below freezing temperatures. And sometimes it's bad just over freezing. Sometimes after around 30 mins of driving it seems to either completely disappear or it will get marginally better. I only noticed it at the beginning of winter when the temperatures dropped. Also, I can feel the car start trying to move forward when I'm at a stop trying to get it into first, as if the clutch isn't engaged all the way. And it doesn't grind when I do get it to it into gear (although it has happened a couple times *shudder*) Any ideas what this could be? I'm not a mechanic by any means but I do have a small amount of automotive knowledge. Just enough to get me into trouble haha. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:14 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 2007 civic SI - Hard to get into gears

Clutch master and/or slave cylinder is most likely bad. Check the fluid level in the resorvoir, check for fluid leaking on the inside of the firewall as well.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Trial User

Would that cause it to be worse in the freezing temperatures? On my way home today it was 7 degrees Celsius (Warmed up a bit) and it shifted great. It was just tough to get into gear for the first two shifts.
The fluid level looked fine and I didn't see any leaks. I'll have better look when I get home though. I've also noticed the pedal is a tiny bit soft after its been sitting for a little but. Thanks for any help/insight.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It could. If the pedal feels a bit soft that's a really good indicator that either the master are slave are failing. If you put it in neutral and pump the clutch pedal a few times does pedal feel and shifting improve?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Trial User

It does get a little bit better. It's still not great though. I'll look into replacing those this weekend.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Trial User

Just thought I'd update this post. I bled the clutch line yesterday. What came out was very black. I flushed it all the way through until it was clean fluid coming out. It hasn't gone below freezing yet, but so far it feels much better. No issue getting it into gear at all. So Hopefully that solved it. If not, my next step will be to replace the master and slave cylinders. Thanks for the help
Old 08-24-2019, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mrsweet
For a few months I've been having trouble getting my car into any of the gears. Clutch is in all the way, but the shifter fights me going into gear. It's alot worse the colder it is. Anything below freezing temperatures. And sometimes it's bad just over freezing. Sometimes after around 30 mins of driving it seems to either completely disappear or it will get marginally better. I only noticed it at the beginning of winter when the temperatures dropped. Also, I can feel the car start trying to move forward when I'm at a stop trying to get it into first, as if the clutch isn't engaged all the way. And it doesn't grind when I do get it to it into gear (although it has happened a couple times *shudder*) Any ideas what this could be? I'm not a mechanic by any means but I do have a small amount of automotive knowledge. Just enough to get me into trouble haha. Thanks for any help.
I have the same problem, my car broke 6 times the cmc

no matter how many times I change the cmc and slave it only works well for me between 500 to 2000 miles after there starts to get hard to shift happen until I get broken cmc internally.
My car is civic si 07 coupe with 191,500 miles has new clutch flywheel.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SrVignieri
I have the same problem, my car broke 6 times the cmc

no matter how many times I change the cmc and slave it only works well for me between 500 to 2000 miles after there starts to get hard to shift happen until I get broken cmc internally.
My car is civic si 07 coupe with 191,500 miles has new clutch flywheel.
This is common with aftermarket CMCs
Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
This is common with aftermarket CMCs
I have ktuned is working better but I have a sound that comes from the trans