Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

08 Civic ATF leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Civic ATF leak

Hey everyone, new member here. Just picked up an 08 Civic DX from my sister to use as a commuter. The car seems to be pretty tight other than a little rust underneath. I had it up on a hoist last week at a friends show for its safety inspection. Everything looked good other than a little oily residue which I thought may be power steering fluid. 2 days later on the highway it through a CEL and would not rev past a certain point. This happened a couple KM from my house so I pulled it in my driveway.
Once I got it up on a jack I noticed it seemed like tranny fluid. It’s only leaking when running. I’m not quite sure where it’s coming from. It looked like it was coming from a bolt but it seems it’s running down onto the bolt head from somewhere else. I didn’t have a proper floor jack and stands so I could not get under very well. I did take a bunch of pics but the cross member is in the way of getting a good look. The pics are from the front end looking towards the rear. Could it be coming from a trans Cooler line or another source?
Attached Images      
Old 02-27-2018, 12:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 08 Civic ATF leak

look all around the cooler line area where the hoses are and see if it's leaking down from there, you might need to pull the torque converter cover and look up in there, I suppose it's possible somehow the torque converter seal blew out or something crazy
Old 02-27-2018, 04:53 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the reply, I will try to get it on jack stands and check around. What I’d really like is a picture or diagram that details the parts a little better. I didn’t find the Honda parts diagram helped much. Where do I look for the lines and cooler?
Old 02-27-2018, 12:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

https://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto.../atf-pipe-scat
Old 02-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny

Thanks for that. I have seen that diagram already, I’m not quite sure the orientation of the picture. I know nothing about working on Honda, just Subaru. I borrowed a friends floor jack and stands and just got it up. Jack will not get it up high so it’s hard to have any room underneath. I’d like to get it higher and run it to see closer where it’s leaking. It’s coated pretty good underneath. I just sprayed a bunch of brake clean to try and clean it off. One axle is coated, the other side is not. I really need to figure out where the parts are on the tranny.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bottom left is the radiator to trans cooler lines, the top right is the rubber lines and the trans filter, which is under and behind the air filter assembly
Old 02-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Trial User

So I pulled the airbox to take a better look.
Seems it’s leaking from the area of the tranny filter and lines and leaking down the back of the tranny.
Any idea what I need to remove to access the area, inspect and replace?
Attached Images        
Old 02-28-2018, 10:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It's not conclusive where it's leaking from from the pics. I would replace the two hoses, the filter, the two washers that hold the pipe to the case, and the hose clamps as well. Hose clamps do go bad over time as they lose their clamping power. The bottom hose has a tendency to kink if you install it **** eyed so be sure to make sure it's not kinking when you install it.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:16 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
It's not conclusive where it's leaking from from the pics. I would replace the two hoses, the filter, the two washers that hold the pipe to the case, and the hose clamps as well. Hose clamps do go bad over time as they lose their clamping power. The bottom hose has a tendency to kink if you install it **** eyed so be sure to make sure it's not kinking when you install it.
Thanks for your help. That was my plan. The bolt holding the filter bracket is proving pretty difficult to get off. I will spray some penetrate fluid on it. The bolt head is rusty and rounding. Maybe vice grips will turn it.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Trial User

Got the filter and hoses out. Seems like the filter is leaking. Ordered a new filter and hoses. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

in the 6th pic in the previous post i noticed what looked like was a hole in the head of the filter, the strange thing is what could possibly cause it ... perhaps a rock somehow got flung up in there and cracked it