Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

***Aftermarket Gear Failures?***

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ***Aftermarket Gear Failures?***

We have had very good results with WPC treatment: http://www.wpctreatment.com/about.htm
Old 03-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I want to know were do I go to buy high performance gears for my 07 civic si. I'm currently pushing alil under 500HP.i'm wondering if you can guide me on how to get them gears i'm looking for.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/would-mixed-set-hypoid-gears-cause-3162689/
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  98.3 KB
Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

That's an OEM gear.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone tell me what type of transmission is in a 1989 accord SEi 5 speed manual. is it a K TYPE OR OTHER
Old 03-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

well see what happens this year with more power
Old 08-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by carrollea
it was 4th gear if you look. yes the engine was warm and the box too. its a b series box s4c or s80, around 400 bhp. i installed them with the bucket of a big digger! i have a friend who is real good with a digger, he`s surgical with one, especially with the 1 foot bucket.
no seriously im building boxes for 9 years now and after two or three years anyone could have it right. even if the main shaft was clearenced wrong it still wouldnt smash teeth off like that. they are one of the easiest boxes to build.
i put the car in first gear and went up through the box under full accelleration and when i was half way through the revs in fourth it simply tore the teeth off. no jumping the clutch or anything funky.
if you read the mfactory site they rant on about better tolerences and harder gears than honda but yet ive been terrible rough on the standard honda boxes and broke NOTHING in three years of hillclimbing and the hills are rough and bumpy so it doesnt add up.
I realize this is from several years ago. But I want to respond anyway. You could be a 16 year old high school drop out living in the woods that's learning how to hotrod your civic by reading the internet OR you could be a 10 year veteran transmission builder that went off and got your doctorates in ceramics and metallurgical engineering for all I know. Please don't take my inquiries personal.

I made this thread over 8 years ago. I count 4 or so reports in this thread. So that averages to ~one report every 2 years? Forgive me if I want more details and don't want to make assumptions.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikos
Seriously?
At the time that I posted this I was a full time student pursuing my BSME and was deliberately keeping a distance from car stuff cause I was worried that I'd get too distracted.

PPG is probably a good depiction of the type of company that I'd like to create one day. And their prices are about what I'd expect from a company that likely employs mechanical engineers full time. So I can't say I blame them for having prices as high as they do. Since they (presumably) employ such educated staff, I wouldn't mind paying the premium and I'd be confident that I'd purchased a quality product.

The only problem is that I'm educated too. And until I start seeing tons of reports and some solid facts that suggest that companies such as MFactory or Gear-X have some inherent issues with their products, I'm going to continue to struggle to find a reason as to why I should spend $1700 for final drive from PPG when I get the same results as one of the Gear-X ones that cost a grand less.

It's cool that PPG makes gears for Lamborghinis though.