Notices
Texas -OK -LA (Sales) Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana

For Sale: 1998 Camaro (autocross/roadcourse), V6 and 5-speed

Old 04-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Sale in Houston area: 1998 Camaro (autocross/roadcourse), V6 and 5-speed

1998 3.8L 5-speed V6 Camaro Hardtop with under 75,000 miles
Vin# 2G1FP22K4W2103079

Who this car is intended for:
This is really not meant to be a daily driver car; its main purpose in life is autocrossing (EP class) and track days at road courses. It is street legal (working lights, working signals, working horn, passes emissions, Street Legal DOT-R tires) but requires a lot of concentration to drive on the road with the wide sticky tires and quick response suspension. Curb weight with full fuel load is 3,250lbs - some 150lbs lighter than stock. You could easily get this car under 3,200lbs with removal of A/C system and other items that are still on it. This car wants to rotate really quickly and is very agile on its feet (it actually can chase down Lotus Elise's in the corners), so you need to be able to steer quickly yet smoothly plus know how to work the accelerator pedal gently. Basically, it's a high performance sports car that will bite you in the butt if you act dumb in it, but excite and reward you if you know what you are doing.

UPDATE: I just ran it with the stock 16x8 wheels and 245/50-16 Yokohama ES-100s on front and 17x9.5 Z-06 replicas with 275/40-17 Nitto 555RII's rear and it was very streetable, just as streetable as my brother '90 Integra RS with 205/50-15 Hankook R-S2 Z212's all around. Putting the Yokohama ES-100's in front took the edgy racecar handling out of the camaro and made it a more stable and more easily street drivable machine.

What has gone into this car:
The Camaro was in minimal streetworthy condition when I first purchased it (blown rear dampers, difficult to shift stock shifter, rear tires losing air, fluids in desperate need of a change). The very first thing I did was bring it to a local service shop and have all the major fluids flushed and changed (oil, coolant, brake/ABS, power steering) before I started work on it. The following lists show what has gone into it since then (plus I have nearly every receipt of all the parts).

Suspension/Brakes
Hotchkis Sport hollow swaybar set (36.7mm front/25mm rear)  Spohn adjustable panhard rod with spherical-bearing ends  BMR panhard rod relocation kit  Spohn adjustable rear lower control arms with spherical bearing ends  Koni Sport single-adjustable dampers  New GM front damper mounts  17x9.5 Z06 replica wheels with 275/40-17 Nitto NT-555RII DOT R (track) tires [Almost totally worn down] Hawk HP+ brake pads front and Hawk HPS brake pads rear  Stock replacement rotor front and Brembo replacement rotors rear

Interior/Safety
Kirkey 20 degree layback Intermediate lightweight racing seats  Sparco 4-point camlock harnesses  Sparco Ring steering wheel  Hurst Billet + competition shifter  2.5lb fire extinguisher mounted in center console  Autopower 4-point race bolt-in race rollbar

Engine/drivetrain
Newly installed SPEC stage 1 clutch/pressure plate kit  New GM flywheel  Turn-One racing Power steering pump  all power steering hoses replace with new GM ones  New GM clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder  K&N filter  Magnaflow muffler (2.5" diameter)

Exterior
Stock side mirrors removed and a SPA Formula mirror on drivers side  Replica SS rear spoiler  rear antenna removed

When autocrossing and attending track events, the power steering fluid was boiling and eventually the stock power steering pump died (this is a common issue with the 4th generation Camaro when autocrossing/running on track). So I took out the stock GM piece of junk one and replaced it with a Turn-One racing unit and redline powersteering fluid. Haven't had any indications of boiling fluid at the last autocross event ran. The stock clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder gave out at around 74,100 miles and since this car is such a pain to do transmission work on I replaced the old stuff with the following new items: GM clutch master and slave cylinders, GM flywheel, SPEC Stage I clutch and pressure plate. Royal Purple Heavy Duty ATF fluid replaced the stock GM specified ATF fluid for the transmission. And on 12/01/05 I spent $600+ to have it checked out/inspected for a track event at the newly opened Motorport Ranch Houston roadcourse.

Extra stuff that comes with it:
I have some upgrade items that were going to be installed eventually and am including them with the sale price of this Camaro.
Used 1 piece aluminum driveshaft (needs new u-joint)  used Global West Track link torque arm  new 3.73 rear gear set with complete install kit from Riverside Gear and Axle  used Torsen T-2 differential  GM Service Manual Set  New Brembo brake rotors for front axles (do not fit correctly - stud holes need to be bored out a little)  Extra set of stock alloy 5-spoke 16x8 wheels with 245/50-16 Yokohama ES-100 tires with lots of tread

What doesn't come with it:
Some items have been removed to make it lighter for handling / easier to deal with. They are the following:
Stock side mirrors, stock front seats, rear seats, all carpeting, all stock seatbelts, headliner, sunvisors, drivers airbag, all interior trim from doors back, factory jack and bracket, stereo unit and associated antenna/speakers/wiring.

The few minor issues with this car:
The body has some scratches in various locations, so if you are a person who is meticulous about paintjobs and appearance you might not appreciate it. Not to mention the passenger side window has scratches as well (bought the Camaro this way - apparently someone thought scratching a car and drivers window, and busting the drivers window of a car for sale is fun. Window was replaced before I got it and I didn't care that the car had scratches since it's not a priority for an autocross/track car). The seating position is not adjustable, though the seat brace can be drilled and seat shifted forward if you need to get closer forward. The seat is also MUCH lower than stock, so if you have a short torso you might not be able to see out of the car at all - it was positioned for my 6'2" self and torso. Also, my 34" waist fits really snugly in the seat - almost too snugly. And concerning the lap belts they currently are currently fastened to the chassis at the stock seat belt mounting locations; I had planned to weld plate in proper position underneath and secure with appropriate bolts, washers, and nuts. But being that the mounting location might need to be changed depending on if the seat location needs to be moved, I think that would best be up to the new owner.

You can have LOTS of fun with this car:

Just look at all this fun!

Why I am selling this car:
Even though I love the handling and braking that puts a smile on my face, I really need something that is more affordable to have fun with (less expensive tires and brake pads really) and that is easy to work on (A 4th generation Camaro is NOT EASY to work on when it comes to engine/transmission/drivetrain/suspension!). Also the gas mileage isn't great with the V6 Camaro around town (20mpg when good), though it's very decent cruising on the highway (32mpg.)

Asking Price: $6000.00

Pictures of this vehicle are available HERE

You will be very hard pressed to find a better handling V6 Camaro on the market...

Modified by Vracer111 at 7:07 PM 4/16/2006
Old 05-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: For Sale in Houston area: 1998 Camaro (autocross/roadcourse), V6 and 5-speed (Vracer111)

Now listed on E-bay...