Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

KPDSM's B-series Swap progression - 2016 - Present

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: KPDSM's B-series Swap progression - 2016 - Present

So the Nippon fully coated (pr3) pistons are inside of $200, and b18a/b rods look like they'll be between $200 - $400.

I went to the shop and forgot I had a box full of stuff. I have (either brand new or great condition)
b1 head gasket
b1 valve cover
b1 cams/gears (2 sets, planned to regrind one)
ARP b1 rod bolts
gsr shift ****
ACL race bearings/thrust/main bearings

This engine should come together fairly quickly with time and space.

I'm fairly sure the engine will run fine with stock cams and stock computer even with usdm b16 pistons. With rodbolts, computer, and 402 or 403 cams, hoping for a STOUT street engine with some good nitrous fun at the track...start with 50 shot wet and add until...forever!

I'll be updating this whenever.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Relocation successful.
Continuing research...also pulled my (now out of business) kms dual valvesprings out of my backup head for use with 402/403 cams. Saves me $300 or more on valvesprings. Kms were just rebranded super tech springs so thumbs up there. I haven't decided what to do head wise.
p75 head no porting with 402s...is my thought to start. P75 definitely pulls to 7k no problems, just had one on a b20, so with 402 cams it would Def be fun.

I was thinking obd1 teg but eg might be sweeter, as we all know b series eg didn't happen in USA....

Sk2 header BRAND NEW magnaflow carb compliant cat and 2.5 exhaust should do it...and pass smog...any ideas on anything here anyone?

KP
Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after reading the thread u mention a goal of 160-190whp, have you considered a vtec head..those numbers will be hard to hit with the poor flowing LS head esp if you dont plan on tuning to take advantage of the cam upgrade. Sounds like California Laws make it next to impossible to make any real power
Old 01-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ontariorider
after reading the thread u mention a goal of 160-190whp, have you considered a vtec head..those numbers will be hard to hit with the poor flowing LS head esp if you dont plan on tuning to take advantage of the cam upgrade. Sounds like California Laws make it next to impossible to make any real power
I have considered vtec, but in the future for this block, as my mechanic skills get better. To run a vtec head here in CA i think i'll still need to pass smog/ref with an LS head, then swap it on after.

I know the LS head flows poorly compared to a vtec head, but if I get my hands on a p8r head(Orthia), that has b16 sized intake valves which would help my case. The 403 style cam IIRC has similar or more lobe than ITR, which often can hit those numbers from what I've seen.

I will be using hondata or neptune when the cams are in, and OEM LS computer with the stock cams to pass smog/ref (which is why I'm looking for OBD1 car...no need to use jumper harness).

That being said, hypothetically, if I stayed with a p75 head, even with valve job and port work done, and the compression bump and premium fuel, in your opinion, you still don't think I'll break 160?
Old 06-22-2018, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been quite some time but I'm determined to make this happen in the beautiful CA weather. B20 is going to be my weapon of choice as it can be BARd in CA with integra emissions equipment.

I have been retooling and so far with about 75 percent of the stuff I needed before it's only cost me 100. That's no hoist or chain though but still good. I've seen b20s for 450 with warranty out here...that's a nice price....
Old 11-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KPDSM's B-series Swap progression - 2016 - Present

...it's still happening. Purchasing a home at the end of the month.
if I use an obd2 b20, will I have to change the oil pump? Or moreso when Would I have to change the oil pump (using an obd2 b20)? I plan to buy obd1 Integra and get a new harness...
Old 11-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by KPDSM
...it's still happening. Purchasing a home at the end of the month.
if I use an obd2 b20, will I have to change the oil pump? Or moreso when Would I have to change the oil pump (using an obd2 b20)? I plan to buy obd1 Integra and get a new harness...
Congrats on the new house.

From a flow standpoint, you will not have to change the oil pump. For passing California emissions on the other hand... it depends on which pump is already on the engine. If it has the wide lower timing cover and the pump housing has the bosses on it to mount the Crank Fluctuation Sensor, then you are good. If you see the narrow lower cover on the engine... you will have to replace it. Some here might tell you to do the CKF bypass trick... and I cannot tell you if that will pass BAR or not. I guess it will depend on the ref. The right way is more difficult, but if you catch it before you put the engine in the bay it really isn't too bad. If you do it right the first time you will never have to worry.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done ckf on a b20 before. I'm confident I can trace the wires back far enough OR make it clean enough looking at the ECU that it will look stock.

However, trying to avoid this altogether. I need to see the difference in oil pump in a picture I guess.
I was hoping that as long as I used obd2 motor and and obd1 computer I would be ok.

Im not super confident messing with the timing but if I have to I have to....
Old 11-19-2018, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done ckf on a b20 before. I'm confident I can trace the wires back far enough OR make it clean enough looking at the ECU that it will look stock.

However, trying to avoid this altogether. I need to see the difference in oil pump in a picture I guess.
I was hoping that as long as I used obd2 motor and and obd1 computer I would be ok.

Im not super confident messing with the timing but if I have to I have to....
You can leave the oil pump alone if you intend to use an adapter harness and an OBD-1 type ECU... all OBD-1 ECU's do not look for any signal from a CKF sensor. However, this method will NOT pass a California BAR/ref inspection, so you will need to use an OBD-2 ECU and some method to keep from throwing a CKF code.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I've heard b20 swaps can't pass in cali because they classify it as a small truck motor, not sure if this is true or not but might wanna call and check. I'm so happy I don't liv there or have to deal with the rules and regulations they have.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
You can leave the oil pump alone if you intend to use an adapter harness and an OBD-1 type ECU... all OBD-1 ECU's do not look for any signal from a CKF sensor. However, this method will NOT pass a California BAR/ref inspection, so you will need to use an OBD-2 ECU and some method to keep from throwing a CKF code.

So wait...my intention is to swap a 96+ obd2 b20 into a 94-95 integra. I thought if the obd1 ls computer didn't look for ckf then i just would have to swap obd2 stuff for obd1 stuff on the actual motor (injectors, dizzy, emissions, a few other things IIRC) and then i could use obd 1 harness obd1 ls computer and be golden? Am I missing something?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
I've heard b20 swaps can't pass in cali because they classify it as a small truck motor, not sure if this is true or not but might wanna call and check. I'm so happy I don't liv there or have to deal with the rules and regulations they have.
trevor wat up...long time no talk, good to see u active on the boards.

b20 is ok in CA now, you just have to set it up like a b18a/b of the same year or newer. same deal for jdm swaps afaik.

im just worried about this oil pump though i think
1. if i use a usdm engine for the swap ill be fine (i think all 96+ b20s in USA have/had ckp oil pump. can anyone CONFIRM this?)
2. if i use a jdm engine but swap into a 94-95 ill be fine bc obd1 doesnt look for ckp/cyp.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are correct with 1 and 2 as far as I know all obd2 use the ckf sensors. Obd1 does not all that is done through distributor.

im building a sweet little all motor b20 non vtec crx now, got a build thread on here.

I've always loved the non vtec power. I would do a set of 403s in it if your looking for mid range power and a flat tq curve. A b16 intake manifold would complement them very well also.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So wait...my intention is to swap a 96+ obd2 b20 into a 94-95 integra. I thought if the obd1 ls computer didn't look for ckf then i just would have to swap obd2 stuff for obd1 stuff on the actual motor (injectors, dizzy, emissions, a few other things IIRC) and then i could use obd 1 harness obd1 ls computer and be golden? Am I missing something?
Somehow I missed that you are setting an OBD-2 engine into a OBD-1 Integra... I was thinking you stated a '96 Integra. My bad.

OBD-1 and JDM computers do not look for a CKF sensor. You will need a USDM engine harness that works with the injectors and distributor that you have... OBD-1 and OBD-2 parts will function the same as far as the computer is concerned.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are correct with 1 and 2 as far as I know all obd2 use the ckf sensors. Obd1 does not all that is done through distributor.

im building a sweet little all motor b20 non vtec crx now, got a build thread on here.

I've always loved the non vtec power. I would do a set of 403s in it if your looking for mid range power and a flat tq curve. A b16 intake manifold would complement them very well also.
Oh I caught that post/thread on b16 IM on b20 you had. Don't worry I have a plan for that as well. Being in CA Im wondering if I can get it stock enough looking to pass an inspection smog/bar/ref...idk I have some ideas.

​​​​​​My last b20 was so fun to drive, and I didn't even get to finish it. I'm with you on the non v life. Paired with the proper bolt ons....

Cams is one of the parts I didn't get to on my last b20. I'm scared of the 403s floating a valve on a stock head, however I've heard as long as you keep the stock redline it's rarely an issue. I was considering 402s but if you're telling me 403s you'd know lol.

I did a home port Job on a jdm b18b manifold and swapped it last time and could IMMEDIATELY tell power difference. This engine would be NASTY with rod bolts pistons and 403s to rev it like a gsr...

Thanks for the confirm bro.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Somehow I missed that you are setting an OBD-2 engine into a OBD-1 Integra... I was thinking you stated a '96 Integra. My bad.

OBD-1 and JDM computers do not look for a CKF sensor. You will need a USDM engine harness that works with the injectors and distributor that you have... OBD-1 and OBD-2 parts will function the same as far as the computer is concerned.
Got you...so this ckf thing is an obd2 a/b issue if I'm tracking properly...

Thanks for the confirm .
Old 11-21-2018, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you could get away with 403s on stock springs but why chance it, if you search around sometimes you can find super tech single springs for pretty cheap, I've ran those on stock retainers and revved out my old b20 to 7500 in a light weight crx and it ran 12.7 at 107. If your keeping the bottom end stock you can mill the head about .030-.050" to bump compression up to mid to low tens depending on the pistons your block has. Also if you pull the head to mill it and install valve springs do your self a favor and just blend the valve seats into the ports to get rid of the core shift. I don't think a ref could tell that the b16 intake manifold wasn't oem on a b20 honestly. They are super fun motors, I'm really excited to get to play with my new one soon and see what it can do.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you could get away with 403s on stock springs but why chance it, if you search around sometimes you can find super tech single springs for pretty cheap, I've ran those on stock retainers and revved out my old b20 to 7500 in a light weight crx and it ran 12.7 at 107. If your keeping the bottom end stock you can mill the head about .030-.050" to bump compression up to mid to low tens depending on the pistons your block has. Also if you pull the head to mill it and install valve springs do your self a favor and just blend the valve seats into the ports to get rid of the core shift. I don't think a ref could tell that the b16 intake manifold wasn't oem on a b20 honestly. They are super fun motors, I'm really excited to get to play with my new one soon and see what it can do.
Why? No particular reason why other than monies. I will take your advice on the springs...as a matter of fact I have a set of LS valve springs (KMS has since gone belly up) somewhere. I know I didn't throw them away.

7500 stock block sounds good to me.

I'll get back with you once this gets closer and educate myself as best I can on building that LS head the way you're talking about.

If I can get that b16 intake mani to look oem I'll use it. I'll probably start with a ported ls intake manifold bc they're easy to find and require no mods.

My last b20 was awesome I'm sad I didn't get to finish it however hopefully I can finish this one and surprise and impress both myself and the people that think non v cNt do it
Old 11-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mostly because the stock ls springs are super weak and I wouldn't trust them. You can compress them easily with your thumbs. 403s aren't a massive cam but they are a good bit bigger then stock ls cams. 403s with a stock high comp bottom end b20 and a b16 intake manifold makes a really nice budget setup and still provides good power for what it is.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Scouring CL for a b series trans in NorCal. If you have any ideas where it doesn't cost 1000 for just the trans please pm me.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a few local guys in oregon always selling rebuilt trans for 450-550 range for ls or gsr. If you want to make the drive I could talk to Jerry Ortiz or Ricardo and see if they could cut you a deal.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This MAY turn into an ef swap. I've always wanted an ef (sedan or hatch), but being on the east coast most of my life, all the efs needed LOTS of body work from salt/rust.
im having a much easier time finding Cable trannies here in NorCal...going to see one this week.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a few local guys in oregon always selling rebuilt trans for 450-550 range for ls or gsr. If you want to make the drive I could talk to Jerry Ortiz or Ricardo and see if they could cut you a deal.
Will PM you now.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YS1 trans procured today. Dirty as hell but spins really smooth. Thought I might get lucky with LSD but no. Sad face.
I guess I have some choices to make because ultimately, since there are hydro/cable conversion kits.

Oh here's a question for you ef guys...efs have drums in the back don't they? can you just swap the brakes with like ex/si/integra rear brakes and get discs?
Old 03-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone used an ebay axle? I've used AutoZone axle with success before but after some research I see people having good success with the O'Reilly's axles. The OR axle is only 20 dollars more than the ebay axle...I wonder if they come from the same place...?

Going to need a shift linkage. HaSport/Innovative my only options? Will keep scouring facebook and craigslist as well...

Been having a good time actually procuring parts so far. Budget definitely will not be broken on this thing and I'm sure it'll still be fun.

Quick Reply: KPDSM's B-series Swap progression - 2016 - Present