Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Would you buy wind-tunnel tested aero components? Wings, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy wind-tunnel tested aero components? Wings, etc.

A little market research:

I am wondering if people will pay for or pay a premium for wings, spoilers, splitters, etc. that have actually been wind-tunnel tested?

Say rear wings on cars, you were provided with specifications, even a plot that said at 60, 70, 80 mph the wing produces x amount of downforce and x amount of drag, etc.

Seems to me that if you're going to put an aero device on a car it would be nice if you knew what the hell it did.

Would you pay more for a wing/aero device if you knew what it did/it was wind tunnel tested and you had quantitative data? If so how much more? 50%?

Or if you're like me and don't bother because none of the stuff is tested, would you consider buying one if you had quantitative data?

Or is it pointless because the rear reason people buy wings, aero stuff is purely for cosmetic reasons? Or perhaps would having functional wings and aero devices on the market reverse this trend?

Thanks,
-k
Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call up King Motorsports. All the Mugen stuff is wind tunnel tested.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: (Kendall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Call up King Motorsports. All the Mugen stuff is wind tunnel tested.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mugen being about the only one that actually does any testing, but it doesn't really do much good unless you have the actual data.

Anything can be tested in a wind tunnel--and while they claim that it helps with downforce, etc. they never specifiy how much weight (although in on press release I read they did say they maintained a 50/50 dist), and how much drag each part produces.

Plus most people don't use the full combination of parts that Mugen tests with... I.e. they use only the rear wing, but not the front splitter, etc.

Wouldn't it be nice to have adjustable, wind-tunnel tested aero components, so that you can look at the plot/specs that come with it and know that on setting 2 it produces 100 lbs at 90mph, and 180 lbs at 120 mph, etc.?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (rotten)

These things already exist. You can get REAL wings with drag and downforce datasheets for around the same price as the Farbon Fiber stuff, sometimes less. I've seen some TripleDex0rSuperAdjustmoAPCWingeroni for like $450 in a few places, I just wonder who pays like $500 for a piece of crap like that?

I don't remember where I saw the "real" stuff, I would google around maybe.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drdisco69)

I have a Mugen rear wing...
and front lip

Old 07-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would you buy wind-tunnel tested aero components? Wings, etc. (rotten)

i think that anyone who races their cars would be interested in the data, i would be.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was told veilside wind tunnel tested too
Old 07-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectTeG)

Problem is that companies such as Mugen or Veilside test products as an entire package. Im not familiar w/ Veilside but I know that the DC5 kit Mugen produced was developed in a tunnel and had shown an 11% decrease in drag and a 110% improvement in downforce... pretty good numbers. Although I only utilize Mugen's DC2 front lip and Mugen's DC5 rear-spoiler, I can tell that it makes a huge difference at speed. So much more stable and inspires alot of confidence in high speed sweepers. We'll see how well the combo Im using does tomorrow at Pacific Raceways; more of a mid-speed course.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (C-speed Ricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C-speed Ricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a Mugen rear wing...
and front lip
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no you don't, riceboy.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mike K)

Don't hate...