Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Will this Timesert kit work for repairing B series head bolt threads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this Timesert kit work for repairing B series head bolt threads?

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...28Time-Sert%29

I realize that the inserts included in this kit are too short for B series headstuds. I am wondering if I can use this kit with 30mm inserts to repair my B18C1 threads. The 11x1.5 "deep" kit is hundreds of dollars, compared to this kit which is only about $80. Has anyone done this, or know if it will work?

Thanks!!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Will this Timesert kit work for repairing B series head bolt threads?

The bseries kit includes the drilling fixture that bolts onto the block needed to drill/tap accurately. If you had the 80 kit plus some skill and the block clamped to a drill press the I think you could do as good a job as the bseries kit.

Also its probably best to install timeserts on all the holes, not just the damaged ones.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will this Timesert kit work for repairing B series head bolt threads?

i have the b series headstud timesert kit i would be willing to rent out for a deposit if your interested
Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TB123
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...28Time-Sert%29

I realize that the inserts included in this kit are too short for B series headstuds. I am wondering if I can use this kit with 30mm inserts to repair my B18C1 threads. The 11x1.5 "deep" kit is hundreds of dollars, compared to this kit which is only about $80. Has anyone done this, or know if it will work?

Thanks!!
I thought the same as you and bought that kit, before it arrived I bought a used headstud kit.

Originally Posted by stumpyf4
The bseries kit includes the drilling fixture that bolts onto the block needed to drill/tap accurately. If you had the 80 kit plus some skill and the block clamped to a drill press the I think you could do as good a job as the bseries kit.

Also its probably best to install timeserts on all the holes, not just the damaged ones.
As above, just measure and drill down. Not easy with the block in the car but certainly possible I'd bet. Althought the other kit is expensive its a nice kit and works very well. I just repaired the damaged threads.

Originally Posted by Chris Crane
i have the b series headstud timesert kit i would be willing to rent out for a deposit if your interested
Do this, even if it costs you $50 it'd be well worth it.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't been on here very much lately. I just saw these replies to my thread.

Originally Posted by stumpyf4

I like the idea of clamping a drill press or drill stand to the block and trying to use the standard kit. What type of press would you recommend? Something that could be bolted to the block using the head bolt holes?

PMed