Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Why does my air conditioning smell like dirty socks?AND why does air still come out when I have it t

Old 04-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my air conditioning smell like dirty socks?AND why does air still come out when I have it t

I've noticed in the past week that when I leave my car outside and get back into it later and start it up, the ac smells like s*&^!! It literally smells like dirty socks. I have no socks in the car and I also have a squash air freshner. Now why in the hell does it smell so bad when I turn the air on. And to top it off , when I turn the ac off or the heat off, air still comes through the vents. If it's on cold, then cold air comes through. If it's on warm,then hot air comes through. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I really am starting to get SICK of that damn smell. Thanks in advance for anyone who can enlighten me on this topic.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why does my air conditioning smell like dirty socks?AND why does air still come out when I have

If you press your "recirculate" button, no air will come out of the vents when the fan is off. My a/c smells like poo too, but I try not to use it...
Old 04-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why does my air conditioning smell like dirty socks?AND why does air still come out when I have

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would help to clean the radiator up at all?
Old 04-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

if you turn it on recirculate and spray a aerosol cleaner in the air and close all the doors and let it sit it will get most of the nasty smell out... just be sure to cycle it through the different vent options and fan speeds.

Also... the air coming out thing... if you have the ex there are vents which allow normal air to pass through even when those vents are not selected and if the ac is on the air comes out whatever temp that is coming in.. they're called fresh air vents.

I think it smells like poo cuz it never gets cleaned and it pulls moisture out of the air in your car so... when you smelly feet are in full summer time effect that smelly air gets sucked into the air cond. system and the pure foot stink juice gets deposited in there to evaporate leaving PURE REDUCED FOOT STINK ESSENCE..

So try the recirculate with an air freshener.. I HIGHLY recomend "ozium" they use it in hospitals and head shops... it COMPLETELY neutralizes odor... READ THE PRECAUTIONS CAREFULLY... DO NOT INHALE THE VAPOR AT ALL.... not in a scotchguard... dustoff kinda way... SERIOUSLY DO NOT inhale the vapors from it... turn on the airconditioning full blast on recirculate and spray it in the car and shut the doors... let it sit for a minute or two... hold your breath jump in and switch which vent it's going through... spray again and close the door... do this till you've gone through all the vents and it'll TOTALLY neutralize ANY odor... I mean dead people smells go byby... stuff is GOOD.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whoa, thanks for the good reply. I'll try that today. Thanks
Old 04-17-2003, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can vouch that Ozium works awesome! I hadn't thought to shoot it into the vents though, good tip.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:08 AM

if you can ever get the "dirty socks" problem taken care of, lemme suggest to you that you ALWAYS turn off your a/c before you shut your car off. this will prevent condensation to form mildew in your air filter which is probably the cause of that smell. hope everything workd out.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Re: (nahledge 7)

^^^ Yep. Also make sure the drain line is working properly.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:12 AM

Default Re: (PupaScoopa)

ozium is good stuff...we use it in our dorm room all the time..for certain purposes

3 more days
Old 04-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nahledge 7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nahledge 7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you can ever get the "dirty socks" problem taken care of, lemme suggest to you that you ALWAYS turn off your a/c before you shut your car off. this will prevent condensation to form mildew in your air filter which is probably the cause of that smell. hope everything workd out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Good tip I'll try turning the ac off before I shut off my car everyday. And I'll pic of some of that Ozium stuff today. Thanks for all the help