Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

i hate honda transmissions/ACT clutches - and my brother

Old 08-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i hate honda transmissions/ACT clutches - and my brother

so my car is great after i de-turboed it... trannys good - clutch grabs like a **** (chirp an ls with homeade short ram intake and dc 4-1 header into 3rd gear). I go on vacation for 1 week and i come back to find my clutch/tranny acting VERY strange. (i have an act xth6 - xtreme pressure plate and 6 puck unsprung disc)

this is of course after i hear my brother fucked up his h23 act xtreme pressure plate and now it wont engage in any gear bla hbla blha. and he drove my car around for the 1 week i was out of town... lil bish can't drive a stick shift

It first started out with me mis shifting 2nd gear baout 5 times in a row with a buddy... this wasn't me not putting the clutch in and grinding the **** out of it or whatever. the transmission with the clutch all the way at the groun shifting from 1-2 would not go into 2nd as HARD as i tried... it felt like something was in the way... then when it dropped to about 4k it would go in.

Now the problem is the same only 4k changed to 3k... 3rd gear grinds if shifted above 4500. 4th gear has the "somethings in the way feeling." and 5th gear has a slight "something's in the way feeling." and now the clutch pedal engages about 1/2" off of the ground - which is about 2" closer to the floor than normal

i replaced the slave cylinder about 1 week after the clutch was installed (2000 miles or less ago) because it went out. there is no leaking around the master cylinder so that leads me to believe it's fine. The reason i don't beleive its the slave cylinder again is because pedal pressure is the same as the day i installed it... that's what also leads me to believe the pressure plate isn't fucked

What oculd be the problem you guys?

-Ryan (who has a 140k mile LS tranny on stock block and ~1500 mile xtr6 clutch)
Old 08-05-2003, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i hate honda transmissions/ACT clutches - and my brother (tegasaurus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What oculd be the problem you guys? </TD></TR></TABLE>

letting your brother touch your car in the first place
Old 08-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: i hate honda transmissions/ACT clutches - and my brother (tegasaurus)

I would try draining and refilling the tranny with oil and crossing my fingers.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you lube up the shaft which the throw out bearing glides on? Could be catching on the shaft somewhere. Most likely the shifter fork though.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:57 PM

Default Re: i hate honda transmissions/ACT clutches - and my brother (97hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you lube up the shaft which the throw out bearing glides on? Could be catching on the shaft somewhere. Most likely the shifter fork though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah... there was plenty of grease on all parts that the helms said.

When i shift - if i do it at the point where the rpms would fall and just give it a tiny bit of gas and push the clutch in, then it'll go into gear without any problem. would that denote the problem of the shift fork or not?

and about the brother comment: i didn't let him drive my car at all... i brought my keys with me, but he used my spare key and disabled the alarm
Old 08-05-2003, 10:11 PM

my cousin had a problem like this on his **** box 03 ex and it turned out to be a bad gear and some fucked up synchros. he only had it on the 2 / 3 shift it would grind anywhere above 4,500. after beating the **** out of your brother i guess try checking it out man.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:14 PM

soundsike bad synchros to me
sorry man.....make your brother pay for that ****
Old 08-05-2003, 10:26 PM

Default Re: i hate honda transmissions/ACT clutches - and my brother (gumbybum)

Lately I've seen nothing but bad things about ACT in these forums. I suggest trying that GM Syncromesh to help with your grinding issues. It might not answer all your problems but it just might help ur tranny last a little longer before you do a rebuild
Old 08-06-2003, 12:27 AM
Furry in your eye

Default Re: i hate honda transmissions/ACT clutches - and my brother (Bspec18)

dont hate on honda or act, hate on your brother.. sounds like he just fucked your **** up.

i love my act clutch, i have about 15k miles of hell on my hdr6. that was starting w/a used pressure plate that already had 20k miles on it. even w/all the hell and miles it will still bark 4th.. its a 92 prelude S, thats right f22 sohc pos w/a intake and broke exhasust and 225/50's on the front will bark 4th.... w00t

you may as well invest in a new tranny or learn how to rebuild em and hope you have a hookup at honda to get new syncros and shift forks
Old 08-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i hate honda transmissions/ACT clutches - and my brother (Furry in your eye)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Furry in your eye &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont hate on honda or act, hate on your brother.. sounds like he just fucked your **** up.

i love my act clutch, i have about 15k miles of hell on my hdr6. that was starting w/a used pressure plate that already had 20k miles on it. even w/all the hell and miles it will still bark 4th.. its a 92 prelude S, thats right f22 sohc pos w/a intake and broke exhasust and 225/50's on the front will bark 4th.... w00t

you may as well invest in a new tranny or learn how to rebuild em and hope you have a hookup at honda to get new syncros and shift forks</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, my old xtss on my integra went for about 20k miles easily... great clutch... im just hoping that something with the pressure plate didn't happen (like what's wrong with my brother's clutch).

I do have hookup at the acura dealer with a wholesale account so yea... however im not going to rebuild it because 2 synchro sets will be like 400 when i could just get a gsr tranny for 600. Oh well... i guess i'll just drive it like this for a while then when i put my new motor in i'll diagnose if its clutch or tranny then buy the appropriate parts.

-Ryan
Old 08-06-2003, 01:11 PM

See what happens guy when you go from turbo to NA, NA is just so unreliable these days j/k On a serious note I have never had a ny bad experiences with ACT, ive always ran them and so have all my friends. No problems, but all these recent problems are starting to worry me as i'll be needed a new clutch in the next few months. Did you confront your brother about the grinds?
Old 08-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i hate honda transmissions/ACT clutches - and my brother (quikB18B)

dont think anything is wrong with the ACT clutch, just sounds like its been abused, and im sure it has when u had your turbo, and now your back within 1 week and u feel the need to floor it? normal wear and tear from abusing it, and sounds like. and the gears are probably ok, but if it will only shift into gear at a certain rpm then its the synchros, and it will continuelly get worse and worse until replaced, but what everyone else said try changing the tranny fluid, thats always cheaper then having to replace the transmission