What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Tech / Misc
Reload this Page >

What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

 
Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 AM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 7
Default What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Was wondering what oil is best to use for my jdm b18c? My tune said to go with mobile1 10w30 but idk if it's ok because the engine is a 5w30 normally I do drive really hard daily idk if that makes a difference any help will grandly be appreciated thanx in advance
Mramirez199112 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 PM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 444
Default re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by Mramirez199112 View Post
Was wondering what oil is best to use for my jdm b18c? My tune said to go with mobile1 10w30 but idk if it's ok because the engine is a 5w30 normally I do drive really hard daily idk if that makes a difference any help will grandly be appreciated thanx in advance
If you stick with high quality synthetic oils, anything a 10W-30 can do, a 5W-30 can do better. Then again, anything a 10W-30 or 5W-30 can do, a 0W-30 can do even better.
shipo is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:32 AM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
 
DCFIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: failing a car near you.....
Posts: 4,285
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
If you stick with high quality synthetic oils, anything a 10W-30 can do, a 5W-30 can do better. Then again, anything a 10W-30 or 5W-30 can do, a 0W-30 can do even better.
Facts.
DCFIVER is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 07:35 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
motoxxxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CT, US
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
If you stick with high quality synthetic oils, anything a 10W-30 can do, a 5W-30 can do better. Then again, anything a 10W-30 or 5W-30 can do, a 0W-30 can do even better.
Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post
Facts.
False. Optimal oil viscosity depends on oil temps and bearing clearances. Some engines require thinner oil due to tighter clearances and cooler oil temps. Other engines require thicker oil due to looser clearances and hotter oil temps.
Climate is also a big factor that affects oil temp.
Listen to your tuner, he's right, especially if you live in a warm climate area. If you drive hard, and live in a warm climate, use 10w-30. If you live in a cold climate, you'll be better with 5w-30.

If you use too thin of oil (0w-30), you WILL damage all moving parts. The same applies to using too thick of an oil.
And no, 10w-30, 5w-30, and 0w-30 DO NOT have the same viscosity at operating temp.

As for what brand and type of oil to use, you want something with high ZDDP due to the type of valvetrain hondas use. So again, your tuner was right to recommend Mobil1. BUT, regular Mobil1 actually doesn't have that high of ZDDP. It's higher than most other oils, but not by much. The exact oil you want is Mobil1 Extended Performance. It has a much much higher ZDDP content. Another equally good alternative is Valvoline VR-1 oil
motoxxxman is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 AM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 444
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
False. Optimal oil viscosity depends on oil temps and bearing clearances. Some engines require thinner oil due to tighter clearances and cooler oil temps. Other engines require thicker oil due to looser clearances and hotter oil temps.
Climate is also a big factor that affects oil temp.
Listen to your tuner, he's right, especially if you live in a warm climate area. If you drive hard, and live in a warm climate, use 10w-30. If you live in a cold climate, you'll be better with 5w-30.

If you use too thin of oil (0w-30), you WILL damage all moving parts. The same applies to using too thick of an oil.
And no, 10w-30, 5w-30, and 0w-30 DO NOT have the same viscosity at operating temp.

As for what brand and type of oil to use, you want something with high ZDDP due to the type of valvetrain hondas use. So again, your tuner was right to recommend Mobil1. BUT, regular Mobil1 actually doesn't have that high of ZDDP. It's higher than most other oils, but not by much. The exact oil you want is Mobil1 Extended Performance. It has a much much higher ZDDP content. Another equally good alternative is Valvoline VR-1 oil
False! Clearly you do not understand oil. I repeat, a 0W-30 will be superior in every aspect to either a 5W-30 or a 10W-30.

Last edited by shipo; 03-18-2019 at 08:38 AM.
shipo is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 AM
  #6  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,111
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
False. Optimal oil viscosity depends on oil temps and bearing clearances. Some engines require thinner oil due to tighter clearances and cooler oil temps. Other engines require thicker oil due to looser clearances and hotter oil temps.
Climate is also a big factor that affects oil temp.
Listen to your tuner, he's right, especially if you live in a warm climate area. If you drive hard, and live in a warm climate, use 10w-30. If you live in a cold climate, you'll be better with 5w-30.

If you use too thin of oil (0w-30), you WILL damage all moving parts. The same applies to using too thick of an oil.
And no, 10w-30, 5w-30, and 0w-30 DO NOT have the same viscosity at operating temp.

As for what brand and type of oil to use, you want something with high ZDDP due to the type of valvetrain hondas use. So again, your tuner was right to recommend Mobil1. BUT, regular Mobil1 actually doesn't have that high of ZDDP. It's higher than most other oils, but not by much. The exact oil you want is Mobil1 Extended Performance. It has a much much higher ZDDP content. Another equally good alternative is Valvoline VR-1 oil
Co-sign.. we're seeing a lot of oil dilution in those 0w-weights and it's not recommended for daily use as with the newer L15 series engines that don't use the same flat tappets as your JDM B18C1.
TheShodan is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:33 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 444
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
Co-sign.. we're seeing a lot of oil dilution in those 0w-weights and it's not recommended for daily use as with the newer L15 series engines that don't use the same flat tappets as your JDM B18C1.
Oil dilution has nothing to do with whether the oil is 10W-, 5W-, or 0W-, it is a function of the engine itself. Said another way, even if you ran a straight weight 30 oil, oil dilution would be just as bad as if it was if you were running a 0W-30.
shipo is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 03:46 PM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
motoxxxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CT, US
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Oil dilution has nothing to do with whether the oil is 10W-, 5W-, or 0W-, it is a function of the engine itself. Said another way, even if you ran a straight weight 30 oil, oil dilution would be just as bad as if it was if you were running a 0W-30.
-Dilution or no dilution. It's a documented fact that 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 DO NOT have the same viscosity at operating temp, especially in hot climates where oil temps get much higher than manufacturer advertised viscosities.
-to say 0w-30 is far superior to anything else is a very biased, and incorrect, personal opinion. Especially when zero facts have been brought to the table to back up your personal opinion.
-again, it all boils down to viscosity. And ideal viscosity depends on operating temp of the oil, and bearing clearances.
motoxxxman is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:16 PM
  #9  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,111
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

TheShodan is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 PM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 444
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
-Dilution or no dilution. It's a documented fact that 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 DO NOT have the same viscosity at operating temp, especially in hot climates where oil temps get much higher than manufacturer advertised viscosities.
Not sure where you got that, but it is patently false. No oil can carry an xW-30 grade specification unless it can maintain viscosity. I call your "documented facts" bogus.

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
-to say 0w-30 is far superior to anything else is a very biased, and incorrect, personal opinion. Especially when zero facts have been brought to the table to back up your personal opinion.
-again, it all boils down to viscosity. And ideal viscosity depends on operating temp of the oil, and bearing clearances.
The fact is, 10W-30 uses what is effectively "rot gut" base oil compared to 5W and 0W; to take it one step further, 0W-xx oils use base oils of such high grade they require very few viscosity improvers to prevent from thinning below grade specification. Like it or don't, believe it or not, your holy grail 10W-30 is of the lowest grade xW-30 oils on the market.
shipo is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
 
motoxxxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CT, US
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Not sure where you got that, but it is patently false. No oil can carry an xW-30 grade specification unless it can maintain viscosity. I call your "documented facts" bogus.
-you used the word "patently" quite incorrectly
-you need to do some research on how viscosity ratings are determined. you obviously don't know what you're spewing. While you're at it, check out the actual viscosities of various viscosity ratings at various temps from same manufacturer and different manufacturers.

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
The fact is, 10W-30 uses what is effectively "rot gut" base oil compared to 5W and 0W; to take it one step further, 0W-xx oils use base oils of such high grade they require very few viscosity improvers to prevent from thinning below grade specification. Like it or don't, believe it or not, your holy grail 10W-30 is of the lowest grade xW-30 oils on the market.
-The fact is you're wrong. '"Rot gut" base oil' is also a biased personal opinion, and again is wrong.
-ALL oils are part synthetic now, by federal law, except those labelled as full synthetic.
-comparing 10w-30 conventional walmart brand oil to a the top tier 0w-30 oil is not even a comparison. Obviously the 0w-30 in this scenario would be a better QUALITY oil, but it would still be the WRONG VISCOSITY.
-comparing 10w-30 to 0w-30 of the exact same brand and type of oil, like say Valvoline VR1 oil, the oil quality will be absolutely identical. Because they're the same oil, manufactured exactly the same, with the same bases that are all synthetic and lab created, no crude oil (or "rot gut" oil as your have claimed), and everything about them will be nearly exactly the same EXCEPT VISCOSITY

Last edited by motoxxxman; 03-20-2019 at 04:54 AM.
motoxxxman is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 12:57 AM
  #12  
Honda-Tech Member
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 444
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
-you used the word "patently" quite incorrectly
-you need to do some research on how viscosity ratings are determined. you obviously don't know what you're spewing. While you're at it, check out the actual viscosities of various viscosity ratings at various temps from same manufacturer and different manufacturers.



-The fact is you're wrong. '"Rot gut" base oil' is also a biased personal opinion, and again is wrong.
-ALL oils are part synthetic now, by federal law, except those labelled as full synthetic. That means ALL conventional oils are made with the SAME base oils.
-comparing 10w-30 conventional walmart brand oil to a the top tier 0w-30 oil is not even a comparison. Obviously the 0w-30 in this scenario would be a better QUALITY oil, but it would still be the WRONG VISCOSITY.
-comparing 10w-30 to 0w-30 of the exact same brand and type of oil, like say Valvoline VR1 oil, the oil quality will be absolutely identical. Because they're the same damn oil, manufactured exactly the same, with the same bases that are all synthetic and lab created, no crude oil (or "rot gut" oil as your have claimed), and everything about them will be exactly the same EXCEPT VISCOSITY
Clearly you have many preconceived notions about oil, probably from listening from too many urban legends. Just as clearly, we are not going to agree.
shipo is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 AM
  #13  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,111
Default Re: What oil is optimal to use for a bone stock JDM B18C1?

So, OP, You have your options and opinions. Time for toy to make your move.

Agreeing to disagree is just fine here.
TheShodan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: