Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

What the HECK is this weird rattle sound at 2500 RPM???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: What the HECK is this weird rattle sound at 2500 RPM???

Originally Posted by projectTeG

thats what i meant. the shitty lma's are the dinky b16a ones, you have the fatter itr style
New style = spring type. Honda replace the hydro LMA's with the spring type a few years back. Some of the threads others have linked above in this thread show them.

Originally Posted by D50boy
This has nothing to do with your rattle, but I had the red M.A.S.K. Camaro when I was a kid. That thing was awesome with the gull-wing doors!
lol f yea I had that one and a bunch of others. Wish I still had those toys heh.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
New style = spring type. Honda replace the hydro LMA's with the spring type a few years back. Some of the threads others have linked above in this thread show them.

lol f yea I had that one and a bunch of others. Wish I still had those toys heh.

im aware . i have the new style spring ones in my ls/vtec. i was just stating that since you have the newer(bigger) oil lmas(non hydraulic, lmas are not hydraulic) that you shouldnt have to worry about them going as easy. i blew my b16a ones from swapping to gsr cams from stock b16a ones. they are that weak. your lmas in you c1 are the same as the itr
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually the old-style B18C1 LMA's are not the same as ITR:

1994 B18C1 LMA original p/n: 14820-P30-000 $24.15
New spring-type B18C1 LMA p/n: 14820-PCB-305 $24.15
ITR B18C5 LMA p/n: 14820-P73-J01 $34.22

I don't know if the ITR had spring-type LMA's originally or if they have been replaced with a redesigned part or what. Carland Acura only shows a single part number for ITR's, though, while older GS-R's show 2 part numbers (the old one and the replacement one). Newer GS-R's also only show the single new LMA part number (spring type).

But again, they're 17 years old, and I do have a valvetrain tick that is not cured by any amount of valve lash adjustments. I'm pretty sure I need new LMA's, whether they're the cause of this particular sound or not.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Trial User

Hey. I have the same exact problem, did you find a fix for it? Whenever i rev up the engine around 1.5k to roughly about 5k, until i shift. This happens through about 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes through 3rd, not all the time. I just dumped more oil in because I heard that they could be a problem, and it didnt help. I did see the ABS solution, because my ABS light has come on in the past, but I have already bleed that part of the system because it also runs my clutch, and I lost my clutch one day because of it. Could it possibly just be the slave cylinder? My 95 integra only has 87k miles on, and the noise started at 86.4kish miles. I just hope that it isn't something huge. I don't want to spend a butt load of cash to get it fixed. I do all of my repairs myself but I dont want to go into the transmission if that is the problem.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I actually have the head off the car right now at the machine shop, and have the new spring-type LMA's ready to go in. I could definitely tell that some of my old oil LMA's were sticking a bit and not moving freely. So I'll report back when I get the engine back together.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Happy to report that the new spring LMA's absolutely fixed the rattle/ticking sound I was hearing previously. SO NICE to have that sound gone!
Old 06-10-2015, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, it's not the exhaust manifold rattle. I know that noise by heart and this is definitely not it.

I did a bit of work around the engine head back in February/March (valve lash adjustment, replaced some oil seals on the head, etc). Ever since then I hear this odd rattling sound around 2500-3000 rpm, most notably when shifting as the engine speed falls through that RPM range before engaging the clutch again.

I can hear it when shifting, or when in neutral and revving a bit (again as the RPM falls is when I usually hear it). Or if I just hold the clutch disengaged and rev it, I hear it.

I feel confident it's something to do with the engine, not the transmission. It is not speed-dependent at all. It's engine RPM dependent only.

It's hard to describe what this "rattle" sounds like. When I hear it, I get a picture of something like a spinning shaft with a plastic washer free-wheeling on the shaft and rattling against something, if that makes any sense.

I've checked around the engine bay and really can't find anything loose or any loose washer on a rotating assembly or anything. I replaced the timing belt in May 2008, but as I said I never heard this sound (or never noticed it anyway) before March 2010. So I wouldn't think the timing belt is slapping around or anything. I triple-checked the tension on it back in 2008, and the engine has been running in top shape with zero problems since then.

Any thoughts as to what this sound could possibly be? When driving next to a wall or any large sound-reflective surface, the noise is VERY apparent and kind of annoying.
I just ran into that same problem I'm running a b16 with a neptune and yesterday after a cruise I did a launch and now I hear that rattle at 2500 and I'm scared to take it to vtec sounds like a bad rod bearing but I'm not sure
Old 06-10-2015, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But today the noise isn't as loud so idk I'm not quite sure what it could be.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So the new lma's stopped the rattle when it was rattling did it feel laggy or sound diffrent when you hit vtec?
Old 12-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Trial User

Hey I know its been a while since this post but am having the same exactly issue on my 98 civic ex how long did it last before fixing or how long would i have before it gets worst just happened 4 days ago car still driving with no issue at all no lost of power just the rattle sound after 3k rpm mostly when I let go the clutch to shift thanks