Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

The use of Amsoil Dominator oil.. Is a switch to Brad Penn ok?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The use of Amsoil Dominator oil.. Is a switch to Brad Penn ok?

Hello guys, I have been reading alot about oils. The subject has been overkill. I just have a single question about my turbo Gsr. Just a simple piston and rod build. I have been using Amsoil Dominator 10w30 and it's been great. But expensive. I only drive the car on the weekends. Will hit the 1/4 mile track a few times this summer. I been considering brad penn oil because it's cheaper. Will this be a safe switch from amsoil to brad penn? Thanks
Old 06-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default re: The use of Amsoil Dominator oil.. Is a switch to Brad Penn ok?

Use a quality synthetic and call it a day. Dominator oil is specifically for track cars IIRC, and is actually intended to be changed more frequently than their standard oil.

Amsoil's standard synthetic oil is actually my oil of choice for any performance car. Mobil 1 has also proven to be good, and I know some people use Valvoline racing. Anything with a good zinc content is acceptable.

Royal Purple has never particularly impressed me, and I've seen/heard of the oil foaming up when used at high RPM for longer periods of times like in time attack or circuit cars.

Edit: Also just as a foot note, if you're changing both the oil and filter with each change, as you should, there's no reason you can't put 6-8K miles on the oil in between changes, assuming you're not beating the crap out of the car every time it's out on the road. Based on what you're saying though, it sounds like your car is more for joy than for daily driving, in which case you'd need to consider the time you have that oil sitting in the engine and how many miles you accumulate over time. If it takes you two years to get 6-8K miles then don't wait that long.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: The use of Amsoil Dominator oil.. Is a switch to Brad Penn ok?

Quick answer is yes. Brad Penn is a fine substitute
Old 06-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: The use of Amsoil Dominator oil.. Is a switch to Brad Penn ok?

Originally Posted by Excusetobooost
Hello guys, I have been reading alot about oils. The subject has been overkill. I just have a single question about my turbo Gsr. Just a simple piston and rod build. I have been using Amsoil Dominator 10w30 and it's been great. But expensive. I only drive the car on the weekends. Will hit the 1/4 mile track a few times this summer. I been considering brad penn oil because it's cheaper. Will this be a safe switch from amsoil to brad penn? Thanks
Ferraris, Porsche,Vipers, even the new Civic type R and pretty much all high performance vehicles all use off the shelf synthetic oil that meets their specification. Believe me when i tell you those engines produce loads and stresses far in excess of your little geezer motor

Im not saying "tuner" oils are bad,Im saying they are not any better than off the shelf synthetic oils,despite what marketing or internet gurus tell you.

Find a quality Synthetic that works best for you and dont believe the hype surrounding "exotic" oils....

(Oh and race oil is race oil. It usually has far less detergents and additives than street oil and will not offer the same long term protections. Dont use it)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The use of Amsoil Dominator oil.. Is a switch to Brad Penn ok?

Originally Posted by Excusetobooost
I'd go with Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30. It's proven in high heat situations. You can buy a 5 Quart jug at walmart for $25.