Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Typical Cost to have a Head Milled/Resurfaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical Cost to have a Head Milled/Resurfaced?

I'm going to be changing my valve seals, and thought it might be a good idea to get my D16Y8 head resurfaced whle I was at it. I called around to some places, and they all seem to want $65 to resurface and hot-tank the head. Another place said it would be $39, but I don't think that included hot-tanking. Is this a fair price for a resurface and hot-tank? Also, I assumed the head should be completely stripped for this, but a couple places said it didn't matter as long as the valves weren't open(sticking down past the bottom of the head). Do people usually strip everything off a head when they get it resurfaced? Also, will the procedure affect the valves' sealing at all? Would I need to do a valve job or lap the valves afterword to get a good seal? Also, where's a good place to get a quality straight-edge so I can check to see if I even need to get the ehad resurfaced? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Typical Cost to have a Head Milled/Resurfaced? (inspyral)

Last I checked it was $30 for surfacing and ~$20 for a hot tank.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Typical Cost to have a Head Milled/Resurfaced? (inspyral)

It is normal for a shop to charge usually 60 for just the surfacing so that price is not bad if it includes the hot tanking, if they are replacing your valve seals they are going to take the head apart so it would my suggestion to get the valve job done even if it doesn't need it only because it can't hurt and your right there anyway same goes with milling it just let them know to only clean up the deck surface meaning don't take off more material than what is needed.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Typical Cost to have a Head Milled/Resurfaced? (HEAD)

Thanks for the replies. I was actually just going to replace the valve seals myself originally, but I figured it would be good to get the head resurfaced while it was off, but I wasn't really familiar with the exact process.