Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on?

And why? I'm just curious as to if the type of dyno makes much of a difference in a good tune. I hear that the Dynapack pretty much pwns for tuning.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard great things about the Dynapacks and the Mustang Dyno's, but I've never personally tuned on anything but a Dynojet.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on? (R0ck*)

Old 04-21-2005, 12:18 PM

Old 04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DYNOJET is not even in the running against real dynamometers like mustang and dynapack. no ability to actually measure hp with a load cell to get true readings. plus they put fudge factors into the formulas to increase hp which looks good on the sheet but sucks when you need to see real #'s.

DYNAPACK's are good, but they suck for automatics, put a lot of strain on the diffs and cost a ton.

MUSTANG while a good solid dyno mechanically does not have good software and can't get rpm on a lot of applications with aftermarket ignitions which makes them have to ratio the rpm from the roll. While this reports correct HP it does not report it at the correct rpm. same thing for torque.
why the discrepency. tire growth, tire slippage, slipping clutch ect. it can't see that stuff with out seeing eng rpm.
plus there traction sucks. on there md250 you have to pull down so hard to get 500hp to the rolls you could potentially hurt the tires. the md250 is rated for 900hp and 500hp is difficult. HMMMMMMMM.

DYNOMITE Dynamometers while a smaller company offers Bad-*** dynamometers. There capabilities absolutely blow the competition away. There around the same price as a Mustang and much cheaper than a DYNAPACK. There system can pick up rpm on anything. I've even seen them pick up correct rpm on individual coil packs, msd ignitions, jacobs ignition and from as far back as the ecu. They have some micro processor in there inductive pick-up. There traction is also way better than mustang or dynojet.
They give a free full working demo of there software online which is insane. If your into software this stuff will blow you away with its capabilities.
They can even datalog egt's, knock sensors, plus other right into there data acquisition.
They also have traction grooves, not knurling so you get much better traction than mustang or dynojet.

got a 500hp street civ tuned for street, economy(25mpg so far) and max hp in 3hours done. drives like a dream and never drove it on the street.

???? just my experience. they have a web site. check it out.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on? (trickeng)

Never heard of Dynomite, I'll check out thier site.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We have a Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer. It is a load bearing dyno. It's a company out of Australia. Very impressed with it so far.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:35 PM

Dynapack to me and the shop I work at, it owns for tunning.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my opinion is it doesn't matter ... its a tool to figure out what a/f and timing the motor likes with marginal error.

When you're done tuning on the dyno you then do tune in the street/track real world environment trying ot recreate teh a/f you had on the dyno.

These are for WOT pulls.

If it really mattered to you, then go with the dyno that is most consistent (closest HP for consecutive runs) ...
If you're into big HP numbers to impress everyone, use the dynapack cause it will save burning up HP from rolling resistance of your wheels. Some cater for correction factors, but I don;t think its possible to get really accurate.

We use the dynojet, hav eto run in 4th and even 5th sometimes because the tires spin on the drums.

Greg
Old 04-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Mad Scientist

Default Re: Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on? (CHEETAH)

Dyno Dynamics
Old 04-22-2005, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on? (mmuller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CHEETAH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my opinion is it doesn't matter ... its a tool to figure out what a/f and timing the motor likes with marginal error.

When you're done tuning on the dyno you then do tune in the street/track real world environment trying ot recreate teh a/f you had on the dyno.

These are for WOT pulls.

If it really mattered to you, then go with the dyno that is most consistent (closest HP for consecutive runs) ...
If you're into big HP numbers to impress everyone, use the dynapack cause it will save burning up HP from rolling resistance of your wheels. Some cater for correction factors, but I don;t think its possible to get really accurate.

We use the dynojet, hav eto run in 4th and even 5th sometimes because the tires spin on the drums.

Greg</TD></TR></TABLE>

"it doesn't matter because" you own the industries most novice dynamometer. load absorbtion is key to getting your car tuned properly.
street tuning is for shops who can afford a load absorption units but need to tune WOT.
this isn't a slam against your shop, because we don't even own a dyno yet, but we have a lot of experience on different dyno's and until you experience the capabilities of a good dyno its hard to understand.

a car properly tuned on a load absorption dynamometer doesn't need any street tuning. just like an engine tuned on an engine dyno doesn't need street tuning.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trickeng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

a car properly tuned on a load absorption dynamometer doesn't need any street tuning. just like an engine tuned on an engine dyno doesn't need street tuning. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you make a good point, but you're forgetting that the air around any dyno vs. the air in the real world environment when the car is going 100+ MPH is totally different and can't be recreated on the dyno.
The closest thing to mitigating the change in a/f are the ECUs correction factors ... and we all know it can take a lifetime to get that fully dialed in ... afterall if that was the case that a dyno can do it all, then no one would need a laptop at the track ...

Greg
Old 04-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on? (CHEETAH)

all your accel, decel, cold start, idle ect.... parameters purtain to temp, tps ect which can be replicated on a dyno.

X temp + Y RPM + Z Load = one set of cells in your map (timing or fuel) so if you dial in those cells they will be correct weather your going 100mph in 4th @ 6000rpm or 40mph in 2nd @ 6000rpm.

if your car is not set-up with sufficient cooling or other items which have nothing to do with the dyno. you can't blame the dyno.

there are lean conditions which are caused by quick accelleration but a good tuner accounts for that when building a map.

dyno's do not program engine managment systems. they are the tools which let you tune them. that is why a laptop is needed and most people who bring there laptop with them (after have the eng managment fully tuned on a dyno) are making changes to the car in some way (traction control ect) or are data logging so if something go's wrong they can figure out what happened.

our they only used an inertial only dyno and still have 90% or the map the dial in.

our they didn't have a good tuner who knew how to utilize his load bearing dyno properly.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trickeng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all your accel, decel, cold start, idle ect.... parameters purtain to temp, tps ect which can be replicated on a dyno.

X temp + Y RPM + Z Load = one set of cells in your map (timing or fuel) so if you dial in those cells they will be correct weather your going 100mph in 4th @ 6000rpm or 40mph in 2nd @ 6000rpm.

if your car is not set-up with sufficient cooling or other items which have nothing to do with the dyno. you can't blame the dyno.

there are lean conditions which are caused by quick accelleration but a good tuner accounts for that when building a map.

dyno's do not program engine managment systems. they are the tools which let you tune them. that is why a laptop is needed and most people who bring there laptop with them (after have the eng managment fully tuned on a dyno) are making changes to the car in some way (traction control ect) or are data logging so if something go's wrong they can figure out what happened.

our they only used an inertial only dyno and still have 90% or the map the dial in.

our they didn't have a good tuner who knew how to utilize his load bearing dyno properly.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously, no matter how much you try to replicate real world driving you can't. For one reason, you aren't truly on the street. The air dynamics are differen't, unless you have a series of fans that are going to act just like speeds of 100Mp plus. I still believe "good" tuners will take the car on the road after done on any dyno. Even thought I only have experience with a dynojet myself, I always tune street an dyno. Even if I had a load bearing dyno that could do it all, I would still do street tuning after to clean it up. The dynamics are just too different.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on? (93turbo16)

OK.

try using one and you will probably think different.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:36 AM

Ok, why don't you try it for me. Use a setup that does not have a IAT correction on it. And tell me how lean you are on the street. Seriously, to me there is no comparison. Sure the tuner can guess of how much more fuel is needed.. but you get my point.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

not sure what slide rule type of engine managment your using which doesn't compensate for Intake Air Temp, we just tuned a civic in with a late 80's accel dfi and it has Intake Air Temp compensation.
??????

just let things cool down on the dyno and then make the pull. there are proper procedures to doing this correctly which i assume are known. but you abviously can't figure out that getting the same IAT on the dyno vs street during a short pull is reletively easy.

and if you can't fully tune an engine for all conditions on a dyno correctly. how do F1 teams, nascar teams, busch teams do it? do you really think they bring a passenger out for a 200+ mile per hour tuning session at taladaga raceway.
there motors go from the engine dyno to the track.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (trickeng)

k<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trickeng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not sure what slide rule type of engine managment your using which doesn't compensate for Intake Air Temp, we just tuned a civic in with a late 80's accel dfi and it has Intake Air Temp compensation.
??????

just let things cool down on the dyno and then make the pull. there are proper procedures to doing this correctly which i assume are known. but you abviously can't figure out that getting the same IAT on the dyno vs street during a short pull is reletively easy.

and if you can't fully tune an engine for all conditions on a dyno correctly. how do F1 teams, nascar teams, busch teams do it? do you really think they bring a passenger out for a 200+ mile per hour tuning session at taladaga raceway.
there motors go from the engine dyno to the track. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I do let the temps cool before making runs on the dyno, I did not state that. I am just stating that ATLEAST in my dyno room we do not get proper cooling to the engine, which make it very difficult to tune for all condtions. The only way to do so would be to have multiple fans. And there are still things out there that don't have IAT correction.

When you talk about F1 and Nascar you are stating two different states of technology... Nascar surely doesn't have IAT correction, and I bet they do more than just dyno testing.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (trickeng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trickeng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
do you really think they bring a passenger out for a 200+ mile per hour tuning session at taladaga raceway.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Essentially. It's called radio telemetry.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Although I agree load bearing dynos are the best (Dynapack/Dyno Dynamics are my favs), you should always take the vehicle out on the street to verify everything is perfect and consistant...

And if you think of the things that the engine dyno rooms they use are capable of you'd understand why they use them...
Old 04-24-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on? (HRTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And if you think of the things that the engine dyno rooms they use are capable of you'd understand why they use them... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, but we don't have em.

Or atleast I don't.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on? (93turbo16)

"And if you think of the things that the engine dyno rooms they use are capable of you'd understand why they use them... "

and the only difference between an engine dyno and chassis dyno are the typical unknown parasidic losses of all the components from the crank to the contact patch of the tire.

so what magic can an engine dyno cell do that (if you wanted it to) a chassis can not.

keep in mind i probably have as much time on an engine dyno as a chassis, so make sure your answer is more than. "ya because it is and nascar does more but i don't know what that more is, i just know they do".

because we are talking about honda's. when i visited AEM there chassis cell was not an enviro chamber and they tune stephan's cars on it. do you think they took it on the street to make sure it ran good?

i know, i know. thats a race car and we are talking about street cars. i must have forgot track conditions never change.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:19 AM

keep in mind i probably have as much time on an engine dyno as a chassis, so make sure your answer is more than. "ya because it is and nascar does more but i don't know what that more is, i just know they do".

because we are talking about honda's. when i visited AEM there chassis cell was not an enviro chamber and they tune stephan's cars on it. do you think they took it on the street to make sure it ran good?

i know, i know. thats a race car and we are talking about street cars. i must have forgot track conditions never change.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

As a matter of fact they never change.. it is all in your head...

It is pretty much all opinion, I don't think many people here are going to have access to such things. So stree tune still equals good results.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:30 PM

DYNAPACK's are good, but they suck for automatics, put a lot of strain on the diffs and cost a ton.

MUSTANG while a good solid dyno mechanically does not have good software and can't get rpm on a lot of applications with aftermarket ignitions which makes them have to ratio the rpm from the roll. While this reports correct HP it does not report it at the correct rpm. same thing for torque.
why the discrepency. tire growth, tire slippage, slipping clutch ect. it can't see that stuff with out seeing eng rpm.
plus there traction sucks. on there md250 you have to pull down so hard to get 500hp to the rolls you could potentially hurt the tires. the md250 is rated for 900hp and 500hp is difficult. HMMMMMMMM.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dynapacks need to get RPM from the hubs, so they have to "guess" with ANY application...
I don't see how a Dynapack will be harder on an auto tranny versus any other brand... you are one confused guy. Put strain on the diffs? WTF?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trickeng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"And if you think of the things that the engine dyno rooms they use are capable of you'd understand why they use them... "

and the only difference between an engine dyno and chassis dyno are the typical unknown parasidic losses of all the components from the crank to the contact patch of the tire.

so what magic can an engine dyno cell do that (if you wanted it to) a chassis can not.

i know, i know. thats a race car and we are talking about street cars. i must have forgot track conditions never change. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's great that you know your **** and all. But you are relatively new to this community and your combative attitude doesn't really garner you any brownie points. Plenty of shops have come and gone, specifically because of that arrogance.

-PHiZ

Quick Reply: Tuners: What dyno do you prefer to tune on?