Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Troubleshooting "blipping/surging" during deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting "blipping/surging" during deceleration

Got an issue where between the 2500-3500rpm range (possibly elsewhere but not as noticeable) when I stop applying throttle I start to feel some sort of surging, kind of like if I were to tap the throttle over and over. Looking for possible causes. Recently checked the TPS and the voltages seemed to check out, but I do have a new one I can try installing. Could this also be a ignition problem? Actual acceleration seems to be normal and this problem only happens when no throttle is applied.

EDIT: Some other possibly relevant data... There is no CEL, car idles perfectly, revs fine, doesn't SEEM to be any dead spots in acceleration. O2 sensor is fairly new, IACV was recently fully cleaned out, fuel filter maybe about 3 years old, fuel pump is new (the issue started before I upgraded my fuel pump this week). Spark plugs looked fine last time I checked and I popped the distributor cap off but nothing seems obviously wrong in there. I'll likely replace the TPS anyway since I have a new one and my current one came from a junkyard.

Last edited by netfreak; 05-06-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:10 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting "blipping/surging" during deceleration *SOLVED*

What fuel injectors are you using? Sounds like you are hovering around the point where the injectors shut off under decel. I've had this happen at low speeds in 1st or 2nd gear when trying to maintain speed, injectors shut off and causes a sort of "bucking" effect.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm using the stock GSR injectors. I don't have any spares to try at the moment though. The issue is less with maintaining speed though and more with when I fully release the throttle.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:51 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by netfreak
I'm using the stock GSR injectors. I don't have any spares to try at the moment though. The issue is less with maintaining speed though and more with when I fully release the throttle.
If TPS and throttle are good then I would suspect a vacuum leak. Something is letting it get enough air that the injectors aren't staying cut like they should.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll try checking those but every vacuum line and hose under the hood is less than 2 years old - I'd be surprised if those were already failing.

Replacing my IACV with a clean one is the one thing I did shortly before this issue started happening. While it did fix an existing idle issue, perhaps this is related?
EDIT: in terms of the gasket... I think I used an old one.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK seems that the problem is getting worse and it feels like I've got misfire under partial throttle. Going to start swapping fuel/ignition parts and see what happens I guess.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it seems the ICM was the root cause of the issue. I'll have to do more testing but threw a junkyard one in and I didn't encounter any problems after a couple hours.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK so I was wrong and it was in fact my "new" IACV somehow. Put the old one back in and while my idle is sometimes a little weird, the issue has not come back after doing a few hours of stress testing. Posting this to help anyone else with this problem who may stumble across the thread.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Troubleshooting "blipping/surging" during deceleration

Oh god so I'm wrong again. Turns out the problem actually only starts happening when the ambient temperature is below around 20c, which explains why my daytime road tests are fine but the problem creeps up at night. I'm about to go replace any sensor that has anything to do with air/temperature but wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this...
Old 06-09-2018, 02:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the record, what was the solution ?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
for the record, what was the solution ?
Still working on it unfortunately. I thought I had it solved earlier but then discovered the problem only starts happening when the outside air is cooler. I'll have time next week to swap more parts and test.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

you might wanna edit "solved" back out
Old 06-10-2018, 08:57 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

IAT?
Old 06-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be trying a spare map and IAT tomorrow and test driving in the cold. I'm not able to update the title of the thread so I'll just keep going until it is actually solved

EDIT: replaced the map and IAT. The problem did come back for a couple minutes but I drove another 3hrs in the middle of the night and it stayed away..... so potentially this is now fixed but I'll have to see how it is over the next week or two.

Last edited by netfreak; 06-13-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, problem started immediately when I took the car out this morning and was in traffic. When the road opened I did a WOT pull and the problem went away for a few hours though... As it came back later in the day the same thing made it go away for a while. I'm going to swap the fuel injectors next.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

exactly what kind of chassis, engine, harness, any other relevant info are we talking about here ?
Old 06-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly what kind of chassis, engine, harness, any other relevant info are we talking about here ?
91 CRX Si, B18C1 bottom end, B16A top, OBD1 P28 with basemap for this motor. The swap is almost 2 years old now I think and this problem started happening maybe about a month after I started driving it after last winter (sits there for a few months). Pretty much everything under the hood is new such as vacuum lines, O2 sensor, drivetrain components. I've swapped the following with apparently no impact on the issue: ICM, cap/rotor, TPS, MAP, IAT, IACV, fuel filter, new fuel pump (Walbro 190). I thought there was a pattern to when it would start happening but now it seems more random but partially based on my throttle usage. It appears to happen when I'm stuck driving under light throttle such as in traffic or just cruising down the highway. My working theory at this point is a defective injector somehow allowing fuel in when it shouldn't be. Basically it feels like someone is tapping the throttle over and over while I'm rolling down the road, but I'm also feeling that the powerband is inconsistent at times and it SEEMS like I might be missing a cylinder... or something. My latest finding is running through a couple gears at WOT makes the problem go away for a while. I've got spare injectors I'll be trying next week anyway.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:42 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the voltage from the TPS wire at the ecu when this occurs? It just sounds so much like a TPS related issue... maybe not the sensor itself, but a bad connection or ground somewhere.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Have you checked the voltage from the TPS wire at the ecu when this occurs? It just sounds so much like a TPS related issue... maybe not the sensor itself, but a bad connection or ground somewhere.
I'll look into that. When I installed the new one I calibrated it at the sensor plug end.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

was this car ever working perfectly after the swap before this issue started ? if you are still on a basemap then that could be the issue, you need a real tune
Old 06-16-2018, 07:20 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

was this car ever working perfectly after the swap before this issue started ? if you are still on a basemap then that could be the issue, you need a real tune
Sounds like a stock engine in which a stock calibration should work fine. Although the B16 head on it could throw some things off.

OP, are you running a programmable ecu or no?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0

Sounds like a stock engine in which a stock calibration should work fine. Although the B16 head on it could throw some things off.

The car ran fine with the swap for about 1.5 years and the only notable thing prior to the issue happening was it sitting over the winter (I'd occasionally start the car but was not driven). I have a basemap chip for the ECU as close to my engine specs as they could and has not caused me any issues.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:15 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

This is why having Hondata or Neptune is so critical for any car with a swap imo. Then you can watch all your sensor readings realtime and immediately see where the issue is coming from.

With any swap, you will have poor wiring splices or connections, or at least aftermarket harnesses that aren’t up to oem quality and over time will start having problems.

While I would guess it’s somewhere in the TPS wiring, could also be the wiring for any of the sensors you’ve mentioned above. Might be difficult to track if it only happens while driving, but possibly that is just the only time it is noticeable. Time to start probing wires.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
This is why having Hondata or Neptune is so critical for any car with a swap imo. Then you can watch all your sensor readings realtime and immediately see where the issue is coming from.

With any swap, you will have poor wiring splices or connections, or at least aftermarket harnesses that aren’t up to oem quality and over time will start having problems.

While I would guess it’s somewhere in the TPS wiring, could also be the wiring for any of the sensors you’ve mentioned above. Might be difficult to track if it only happens while driving, but possibly that is just the only time it is noticeable. Time to start probing wires.
It also doesn't happen all the time. Spent the other day on the highway for like 8 hours and I could feel the problem happening maybe 5-10% of the time tops. I have spares of probably everything under the hood though so I'm bound to track it down.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 2x0

It's not a stock engine if it's got a different head in it.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting "blipping/surging" during deceleration