Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Troubleshooting "blipping/surging" during deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting "blipping/surging" during deceleration

I'm almost certain I know the cause now but I accidentally made my problem worse until I can fix it. I checked my plug wires and threw new spark plugs in, and also swapped all my injectors with a spare set, but doing this made one of my cylinders disappear. Figuring my spare injectors might be bad I threw my original D series OBD0 ones in with the resistor box as I knew they worked, except I was still missing a cylinder. Got nervous and just did a compression test but they came back clean, except when I did this I noticed the brand new plug in cylinder 4 was completely dry whereas the others had fuel. I've ruled out the injector and I think I've actually got bad wiring which ultimately went from kinda broken to full on broken when I was in there moving all the wires around.

Sooo likely tomorrow I'm going to splice into my harness with a new injector plug for cylinder 4 and see what happens.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

keep in mind that low impedance injectors use a resistor box while high impedance need to have the resistor box wired out
Old 06-21-2018, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
keep in mind that low impedance injectors use a resistor box while high impedance need to have the resistor box wired out
Yeah I re-installed the resistor box to use the injectors that are currently in there. I think I'll just leave that setup as is while I track down where I suspect there's a wiring break or whatever in my harness.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK I think is this is actually solved now. The circuit breaks for the #4 fuel injector on my ECU adapter harness depending on movement of the wire.

EDIT: spliced a new wire into the #4 injector plug and all cylinders fire now. This appears to have been my issue all along.

Last edited by netfreak; 06-21-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Guess whos back!

Apparently that broken fuel injector wire on my ECU adapter harness was just a hilarious coincidence. The throttle problem came back like a day or two after I replaced it. I think I can rule out the distributor as I disassembled the whole thing and replaced every component inside. Before I went driving tonight I super torqued the throttle body bolts and also wiggled the TPS wires a bunch (lol) and oddly enough the problem didn't come back all night. This could be another case of the problem taking a day off just to annoy me, or potentially the wires for the TPS might be failing. If/when the problem comes back I'll splice a new TPS plug on the harness and see.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Troubleshooting "blipping/surging" during deceleration

This will probably be my final post on this. Just for fun I replaced the TPS plug and a couple inches of wire. The problem did happen again briefly but I've put about 50 hours on the car both night and day and it otherwise drives mostly fine. The throttle still FEELS weird sometimes but at least my root problem is so far staying away. I can live with the current driving condition so I'm not going to do a whole lot more troubleshooting on this.