Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Troubleshooting: 2002 Accord SE 2.3 VTEC. No start after timing belt/water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: 2002 Accord SE 2.3 VTEC. No start after timing belt/water pump

Thanks in advance for any help that you might be. My 2002 Accord SE 2.3 vtek died while driving and has not started since. To avoid as many "have you tried" items I will list what I have done thus far.
Confirmed fuel pressure at fuel rail.
Confirmed spark at plugs.
Confirmed crankshaft position sensor is okay by monitoring cranking rpm through my code scanner (200 rpm cranking)
Engine cranking is smooth without any sounds of wanting to run.

I recently removed engine and transmission to replace rack and pinion as well as rear half of engine cradle and other fun stuff. New water pump and timing belt kit. Reinstalled everything and drove car about a week to 10 days when it just died while driving.
Current DTC's: P0325 (Knock sensor is new), P1361 (Test above points to Crankshaft Position Sensor being operational)

My understanding is that the knock sensor when it hears the right noise begins to retard the timing to prevent detonation. Is it possible or probable that it has set the timing back so far that the engine won't run? Is there anything else that could cause this condition? I'm kinda stuck.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:01 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting: 2002 Accord SE 2.3 VTEC. No start after timing belt/water pump

Have you checked your mechanical timing, and verified that your timing belt didn't break?
Old 12-23-2018, 05:07 PM
Trial User

Default re: Troubleshooting: 2002 Accord SE 2.3 VTEC. No start after timing belt/water pump

Thanks for your reply. The timing belt is new and if it were broke the distributor could not send spark to the plugs as it is doing for the 2 plugs that I checked.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pressure at the fuel rail?
Did you feel any injectors to see if they were firing?
If not then try spraying some starter fluid in to intake
And try to see if it will start
If the engine doesn't try to start then must check the timing again
Possible the belt jumped if tensioner wasn't changed at the same time as the belt
Or changed with a bad or faulty tensioner

Good luck
Old 12-24-2018, 05:59 AM
Trial User

Hey to avisitor,
My comment on fuel pressure at rail was to confirm the fuel pump was doing it's job. I will however definitely try the starting fluid. What is recommended if I do not feel the injectors pulse.
Thank You.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by tiredretired
Confirmed crankshaft position sensor is okay by monitoring cranking rpm through my code scanner (200 rpm cranking)

P1361 (Test above points to Crankshaft Position Sensor being operational)
This^ is clearly an inadequate troubleshooting test for code P1361, which is almost surely preventing the engine from starting.

Buy, download, or borrow the 2002 Accord service manual to troubleshoot (voltage and Ohm tests) and fix this important CEL code.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:02 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Thanks in advance for any help that you might be. My 2002 Accord SE 2.3 vtek died while driving and has not started since. To avoid as many "have you tried" items I will list what I have done thus far.
Confirmed fuel pressure at fuel rail.
Confirmed spark at plugs.
I'm going to add a little for your future knowledge. I would suggest a little more detail so that everyone can see true testing has been done.

You say confirmed fuel pressure at fuel rail. How? Do you have a number to provide or you loosened a banjo bolt and saw fuel squirt out so don't know how much pressure is present?

You say you confirmed spark at plugs. How? In a later post you say you found spark on 2, but not tested all 4. Nor have you stated quality of the spark of the two you found spark on.

I'm sure you have enough pressure and I'm confident you have spark on all 4 and quality is good with bright white spark. I would just like to point out how the lack of detail will cause more questions instead of less. I believe you wanted to reduce the questions and get more direct and accurate feedback, more like muellersfan's response.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey to avisitor,
My comment on fuel pressure at rail was to confirm the fuel pump was doing it's job. I will however definitely try the starting fluid. What is recommended if I do not feel the injectors pulse.
Thank You.
P01361 ... TDC sensor determines timing for spark and fuel injectors firing for start up of the engine
Probably should be spending more time on that ... troubleshooting to see if sensor is working properly or not
Old 12-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Trial User

This is why I came to this site. I wanted good feedback so I would know what to do next. I will in the future be more specific so as to avoid the more questions than answers scenario. My main error it would seem at this time was to assume that if I was getting a good smooth rpm signal to my scanner when cranking the engine that the crank position sensor was good. I do believe now however that it is suspect at best and I should check that further. Thanks to all of you who took the time to share your knowledge.