Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Troubleshooting: 1994 Accord LX not starting after components replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: 1994 Accord LX not starting after components replacement

Hello I have a 1994 accord lx with a no start issue. I have been fighting this car for about a year. I am out of ideas on how to get it running. It would run for a week or two then it wouldn't restart. It has basically all new parts; new fuel pump filter injectors regulator. New distributor cap rotor coil plugs wires and more. The car cranks but won't start. Not even with starting fluid. Timing belt and tensioner were replaced less than a year ago. Compression test shows about 160x 4. Good fuel pressure at rail. Verified spark at each individual plug. The intake has been cleaned out. Got a used ecm tried swapping same result. What am I missing?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting: 1994 Accord LX not starting after components replacement

Originally Posted by 88accordlx
Hello I have a 1994 accord lx with a no start issue. I have been fighting this car for about a year. I am out of ideas on how to get it running. It would run for a week or two then it wouldn't restart. It has basically all new parts; new fuel pump filter injectors regulator. New distributor cap rotor coil plugs wires and more. The car cranks but won't start. Not even with starting fluid. Timing belt and tensioner were replaced less than a year ago. Compression test shows about 160x 4. Good fuel pressure at rail. Verified spark at each individual plug. The intake has been cleaned out. Got a used ecm tried swapping same result. What am I missing?
The actual distributor replacement. just because you replaced the cap doesn't mean the distributor ICM or ignitor work. You could have saved money on the ECU. that was going nowhere.

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-18-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Troubleshooting: 1994 Accord LX not starting after components replacement

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The actual distributor replacement. just because you replaced the cap doesn't mean the distributor ICM or ignitor work. You could have saved money on the ECU. that was going nowhere.
Yeah thanks. Not quite sure about the lingo. Beefcake and relaxed the cap not sure what the humorous is either. Anyway the icm cap rotor is all part of the new distributor which was replaced. Car ran after replacement. I timed it during that run. Once the it was shut off hasn't ran since. When it does run it is hard to get started once going runs fine.

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-18-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Latest update. New iac valve new plugs and new coil. Reverified spark at each plug. Sprayed starting fluid in each cylinder then put the plugs in. Starting fluid in intake. Car occasionally coughs but will not start. Next step may be to sell it off for parts.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:36 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 88accordlx
Latest update. New iac valve new plugs and new coil. Reverified spark at each plug. Sprayed starting fluid in each cylinder then put the plugs in. Starting fluid in intake. Car occasionally coughs but will not start. Next step may be to sell it off for parts.
Spraying starter fluid doesn't help the ignition like in an old carb'd engine. Might be time to sell off and be done with it
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Biggest problem is that it isn't worth much not running. All of the new parts wheels and tires are worth more then I would get for the car as is. Sunk loss fallacy I guess. I will keep trying . I know the starting fluid doesn't work like the old days I just wanted to make it cough and attempt to start. Didn't work out.