Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Timing Belt Tension - B16A (AUS Delivered)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Tension - B16A (AUS Delivered)

Hey guys,

Just installed my new timing belt, tensioner and water pump.

I'm trying to set the tension on the belt but the position of the tensioner seems a little strange to look at.

I'm certain that i've set it up correctly, positioned and set the belt (turned motor over 6x by hand with the tensioner tightened, then loosened it off - turned motor over another 3x teeth on the camshaft then re-tightened tensioner bolt to spec). I've followed the workshop manual strictly.

There is definitely tension on the belt and it seems to be ideal tension, but the tensioner pulley is just sitting a little oddly.

If you can see from the following pictures that the 'sprung' arm on the tensioner is almost 'resting' on the bolt below it... almost as if its in its non-tensioned position.

Any thoughts?

I've turned the motor over a fair few times and all the timing marks line up etc. The new tensioner pulley is the same as the old one.

One thing i must note: I bought a DIY timing belt kit (belt, tensioner pulley and cam seals etc). The belt is the same as the OEM one but the tensioner pulley supplied in the kit was different to my old one. I took it back and got the correct one. The supplier believed that the one i was originally supplied with was in-fact a B16A civic tensioner pulley and the one i had was matched with a CRV pulley. Go figure?

Does the positioning look ok?

Maybe the new belt is stiffer/tighter than the old one and may need to be re-tensioned after a while and then will the tensioner move?

I'm just a bit hesitant to put it all back together without some other opinions.