Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Are there any particular sensors in an 05 Civic that tend to fail first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are there any particular sensors in an 05 Civic that tend to fail first?

I accidentally broke the original MAP sensor on my 2005 Civic VTEC while unplugging it, it must have been brittle from being old. The car seems to be running fine before I broke it, but once I installed a new OEM MAP sensor, the car ran better than it has in a long time. The engine felt much more responsive and took much less throttle than before to move the car. I think that the sensor was worn out for a while, but just didn't completely fail. Now I wonder which other sensors may be worn out. All the sensors are original with 231,000 miles on them, so they may be worn out. Which sensors wear out over time? Do cam/crank sensors and temp sensors wear out over time too? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default re: Are there any particular sensors in an 05 Civic that tend to fail first?

Originally Posted by Vtec04
. Which sensors wear out over time?
Inquisitive feller.

They all do. Anything with voltage and current running through them/actuating them,will wear out.

The "when" is the big mystery,for now.

(Although there is technology being developed right now for "predictive failure analysis" Basically means the ECM will alert you when your sensor/component is nearing the end of its useful life)
Old 10-16-2017, 03:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: Are there any particular sensors in an 05 Civic that tend to fail first?

You can be proactive by replacing most major sensors, provided you plan on having the car for a while, and since the old ones are still working, you have working spares now. One of the good things about swapping in used low mileage jdm engines is that you a bunch of spare parts afterwards.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vtec04
I accidentally broke the original MAP sensor on my 2005 Civic VTEC while unplugging it, it must have been brittle from being old. The car seems to be running fine before I broke it, but once I installed a new OEM MAP sensor, the car ran better than it has in a long time. The engine felt much more responsive and took much less throttle than before to move the car. I think that the sensor was worn out for a while, but just didn't completely fail. Now I wonder which other sensors may be worn out. All the sensors are original with 231,000 miles on them, so they may be worn out. Which sensors wear out over time? Do cam/crank sensors and temp sensors wear out over time too? Thanks.
it depends. You can test them until you're blue, and they may be fine, until one day it decides it would rather be a toaster, or a corroded piece of touching wires and broken diodes, and resistors. You could replace them all, but that is never fool proof either. Some things are better left alone. You never tested your map value vs. Actual vacuume.