Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Stuck Oil Rings vs Worn Oil Rings

Old 06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stuck Oil Rings vs Worn Oil Rings

Hmm, checked the level and was surprised....am seeing positive results. 400 miles and no oil consumption so far. Have not seen the oil level this steady...ever. Will report when I throw a few thousand miles on it this summer.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good, hopefully it took care of it. Report back in a couple thousand miles because 400 is really not that much although it sounds like you had pretty high consumption.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:01 AM
Trial User

Marvels not meant to decarbonize a engine. De-carbon is done by adding additives to the fuel in most cases. To prevent further problems search out a fuel additive that may help your oil rings. look at marine market to get a idea.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spanky 1
Marvels not meant to decarbonize a engine. De-carbon is done by adding additives to the fuel in most cases. To prevent further problems search out a fuel additive that may help your oil rings. look at marine market to get a idea.
Marvel Mystery Oil will de-carbon the rings. The things you are thinking of remove carbon build up on the back of the valves.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, so all you did was the Marvel soak? No Sea Foam?
How much did you use and how long did you let it soak?
Did you change your oil after?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I did two Marvel piston soaks. No seafoam used at all.

1. On a cool engine at 8pm I removed the plugs

2. With funnel, added about 1/2 cup of MMO to each cylinder

3. Let sit overnight

4. In the morning, took flashlight to make sure no fluid was remaining in the cyliders. (during the second soak, cylinder 4 had fluid still in it which I sucked out with a small tube attached to the tip of a turkey baster). Unplugged distributor base plug and turned engine over just to be sure nothing remained in the cylinder.

5. Reinstalled plugs (dont forget antiseize) in same places they came from.

6. Fired it up and it lightly smoked for only a few minutes. Took it on the highway.

7. Only after the second soak did I change the oil.

I will also mention that after the second soak and burn off period I installed NGK platinums that the helms called for instead of the NGK BRK6E-11 (that only had 3000 mi on this set). The car seems to run a hell of a lot better. Even the wife noticed without me saying anything.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like your procedure, I hope it works out well for you.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GM top engine cleaner is the $hit, try this next time.
1) Buy some GM top engine cleaner
2) Remove sparkplug and pour a small amount into the cylinders through the sparkplug hole.
3) Unplug the distributor harness (so you don't fry your igniter)
4) Put a rag over all the sparkplug holes and crank the motor over
5) Pour a bit more into the cylinder and let sit.
6) After 2-3 hours or overnight, crank the motor over some more with the rag over the spark plug holes.
7) Change the oil.
8) Put everything back together and run it.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad to you're having positive results.

I too am getting ready to do a piston soak with either Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil, still trying to decide.

But I have a few questions before I start.
1. Should this be performed on a cold or hot engine?
2. How long do I let it soak?
3. Should I let the engine burn some of this stuff off before I change the oil?

Also, can someone reccomend a good fuel system cleaner?

I'm pretty aprehensive about putting stuff like this in my car. But there are so many people having good results that I feel I need to give it a shot. Any insight would be helpful guys.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did it on a cool engine because I try to avoid removing spark plugs on a hot head. You run a higher risk of damaging head threads if you do.

Just by reading around and actually looking at the two products, seafoam is more aggressive and I personally wouldn't let it sit more than an hour as a piston soak. MMO you can let it sit for longer....it looks and acts more like an oil than seafoam does. Seafoam looks like kerosene to me.

As for the oil change it's up to you. Both seafoam and MMO can be poured directly into the crankcase. Again, seafoam is more aggressive and I wouldnt leave it in there for more than 100mi. People use MMO as an oil additive so I wouldn't be so worried about changing it immediately. I changed my oil after the 2nd soak (100mi after 1st soak), and everything turned out fine.

I used to swear by chevron techtron fuel additive until I saw the carbon deposits on my subaru's valves when it got a new headgasket. MMO can also go in the gas tank.....I did this as well.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stumpyf4
GM top engine cleaner is the $hit, try this next time.
6) After 2-3 hours or overnight, crank the motor over some more with the rag over the spark plug holes.
Do you ever find fluid being shot out when you do this? When my cylinder still had a lot of MMO in it (1/4 cup), turning over the engine didn't push it out. Only came out with the turkey baster. Definitely would have been enough to hydrolock the engine.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a question .. can a bad oil ring cause oil to be pushed out of the exhaust valves? i have done new valves, guide seals but im still getting oil in my #3 exhaust port..
Old 06-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

based on the photos taken by this guy https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ht=stuck+rings

yes
Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I'm in the process of doing my MMO soak. I basically followed your procedure here, except I only added 1/4 cup to each cylinder.

I will now let this sit for aprox. 8-10 hours.

Results will be posted soon.

How has your oil consumption been since the treatment?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowwasscivic
i have a question .. can a bad oil ring cause oil to be pushed out of the exhaust valves? i have done new valves, guide seals but im still getting oil in my #3 exhaust port..
Yes, any oil that isn't burned in the combustion chamber goes out the exhaust valve.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Scott_Tucker
Yes, any oil that isn't burned in the combustion chamber goes out the exhaust valve.
k well compression is good. should i replace rings and what not. it just sucks because i have taken the head off twice now and head gaskets aren't really cheap.. i think i will try the soak.. its only like 4 bucks..
Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowwasscivic
k well compression is good. should i replace rings and what not. it just sucks because i have taken the head off twice now and head gaskets aren't really cheap.. i think i will try the soak.. its only like 4 bucks..
Yeah, I would try the soak. Compression has absolutely nothing to do with you oil control rings or valve seals.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very interesting thread..

Now, I have a doubt. In my country there is no MMO or stuf like that.

Is it too bad if I use kerosene for like, a 30mins soak, and then change the oil one or 2 times?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've used kero for years. i usually let them soak overnight and then change oil.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I let the MMO do it's thing overnight. I believe it sat for roughly 15 hours.

This afternoon, I checked to see if there was any fluid on top of the pistons. Cylinder 1 was the only one, and it still had quite a bit. So I stuffed a rag in each hole and cranked the car over a few times only to have the rags shoot right out. lol. Repeated this process a few times.

After that, cylinder one seemed to clear out the rest of the MMO.

Reinstalled my plugs, popped the wires back on, pluged the dizzy harness back in and fired it up. WOW! I wasn't prepared for the smoke storm that soon followed...
At first it shot out a HUGE cloud, which the wind blew right back in to my garage.

Gasping for air, I ran out of the garage and just sat there for a few mintues as my car emitted a dense fog over my apartment complex. It was hilarious as people walked by and looked at me and my car like "wtf dude"...
It smoked like crazy for about 5 minutes, I then drove it around the block for another 5 minutes and that seemed to clear it out.

My initial impression after driving the car for a few hours today is yes, it did do something.
It seems to run better... smoother I guess. Also, when vtec engages I'm not getting nearly as much smoke out of the exhaust.

Right now, my oil level is at the top mark. I've put about 70 miles on it so far and those were 70 hard miles. I had to beat on this thing today!

I plan on keeping track of the mileage and oil consumtion. Might even do one more soak tonight. Overall, I'm happy. I was scared it might F-up my motor, but it didn't and it seems like it's not burning oil as bad. Only time will tell. Kinda wishing I'd done this sooner....
Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by victor.ek4
Very interesting thread..

Now, I have a doubt. In my country there is no MMO or stuf like that.

Is it too bad if I use kerosene for like, a 30mins soak, and then change the oil one or 2 times?
I've heard of people using kerosene effectively. You don't need to change the oil more than once.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zaraki
Well, I let the MMO do it's thing overnight. I believe it sat for roughly 15 hours.

This afternoon, I checked to see if there was any fluid on top of the pistons. Cylinder 1 was the only one, and it still had quite a bit. So I stuffed a rag in each hole and cranked the car over a few times only to have the rags shoot right out. lol. Repeated this process a few times.

After that, cylinder one seemed to clear out the rest of the MMO.

Reinstalled my plugs, popped the wires back on, pluged the dizzy harness back in and fired it up. WOW! I wasn't prepared for the smoke storm that soon followed...
At first it shot out a HUGE cloud, which the wind blew right back in to my garage.

Gasping for air, I ran out of the garage and just sat there for a few mintues as my car emitted a dense fog over my apartment complex. It was hilarious as people walked by and looked at me and my car like "wtf dude"...
It smoked like crazy for about 5 minutes, I then drove it around the block for another 5 minutes and that seemed to clear it out.

My initial impression after driving the car for a few hours today is yes, it did do something.
It seems to run better... smoother I guess. Also, when vtec engages I'm not getting nearly as much smoke out of the exhaust.

Right now, my oil level is at the top mark. I've put about 70 miles on it so far and those were 70 hard miles. I had to beat on this thing today!

I plan on keeping track of the mileage and oil consumtion. Might even do one more soak tonight. Overall, I'm happy. I was scared it might F-up my motor, but it didn't and it seems like it's not burning oil as bad. Only time will tell. Kinda wishing I'd done this sooner....
Nice, I didn't get quite the billowing smoke as you did for some reason. Supposedly, MMO piston soaks are common with Saturn owners because they have some sort of major issue that really sticks rings. I'm not sure why I dont see soaks being done more here...there are a lot of Honda owners burning oil. I'm driving it 400 mi tomorrow, so I'll know if it worked for sure then.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would suggest doing another soak and then when you change the oil add a quart or MMO instead of one of the quarts of oil and then re-change the oil at 3 - 5k miles.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt work for me. i am still puking oil out of #3. guess i am going to tear it down and rebuild it..
Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like my problem is pretty much solved. My oil consumption has been reduced by over 50%. I may actually be able to get to 3000 mi without having to add oil. Maybe a few more soaks will reduce it even more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck Oil Rings vs Worn Oil Rings