Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Smoking out of tail pipe at WOT

Old 08-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Smoking out of tail pipe at WOT

So I just did a fresh rebuild on an LS B18b1 non vtec and I was driving it around today. No smoke on start up or normal acceleration.
Didnt smoke until it reached operating temperature AND WOT. My friend tells me it's white but I don't really trust his opinion because it is easy to mistake oil smoke for coolant smoke and at idle I get no smoke. only a tiny bit when I really rev it out in neutral to 7-8k and even then it's difficult to get smoke. There is also no sign of oil in the overflow reservoir. The oil cap doesn't smell like there is coolant in the oil at all. All gaskets including the head gasket are replaced on the engine and brand new pistons and rings. It was also machined, sleeved and honed.Brand new valve train as well. Only thing not touched on the valve train was the valve seals. I don't know what else to do. What else should I check for? Pleaseee help me figure this out. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Smoking out of tail pipe at WOT

what was the rationale for not replacing the valve seals and was it smoking before the rebuild ?
Old 08-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Teggymaniac379
So I just did a fresh rebuild on an LS B18b1 non vtec and I was driving it around today. No smoke on start up or normal acceleration.
Didnt smoke until it reached operating temperature AND WOT. My friend tells me it's white but I don't really trust his opinion because it is easy to mistake oil smoke for coolant smoke and at idle I get no smoke. only a tiny bit when I really rev it out in neutral to 7-8k and even then it's difficult to get smoke. There is also no sign of oil in the overflow reservoir. The oil cap doesn't smell like there is coolant in the oil at all. All gaskets including the head gasket are replaced on the engine and brand new pistons and rings. It was also machined, sleeved and honed.Brand new valve train as well. Only thing not touched on the valve train was the valve seals. I don't know what else to do. What else should I check for? Pleaseee help me figure this out. Thanks in advance.
When you say everything is new on the valve train, I would think that would include new valve guides, in which case, the seals would have to be new, they are not reusable upon removal.

It's quite likely the rings are not fully seated yet. Chromoly rings take a loooong time to seat and at WOT high rpm, that is when you get the most oil passing by the rings.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did your break in procedure consist of?