Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Tech / Misc (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/)
-   -   Simple DIY start circuit test, [bypass jump] (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/simple-diy-start-circuit-test-%5Bbypass-jump%5D-2961164/)

ky335 03-09-2015 10:41 PM

Re: Simple DIY start circuit test, [bypass jump]

nice write up! will come very useful too me

Shelbynicole 04-17-2015 06:29 PM

Thanks it was useful :bunny:

phootbag 05-18-2015 01:04 AM

My professional opinion is that a voltage drop test is far more informative than using a test light. Most test lights will illuminate below 12 volts.

An unwanted voltage drop in a circuit such as a pinched wire or corroded connector may support the current necessary to illuminate a test light, it may not, however, be sufficient to support the current necessary to energize the starter solenoid.

A test light may not indicate this unwanted voltage drop whereas a multimeter or power probe with a display will indicate a voltage drop. And this is exactly why my test light has not seen the light of day in almost two decades.

redcivic 05-16-2016 06:58 PM

If the solenoid is not getting 12V then what exactly could it be? My sons GSR has the same issue, starts if you jump the solenoid to the battery, relays are all tested and good, clutch switch is good, starter is new.

I will test the voltage next or should I check continuity on the wire to the starter solenoid?

Thanks.

1980Jeep 05-18-2016 03:09 PM

Thanks for all the help. I will give it a shot. Thank you

redcivic 05-30-2016 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OKay guys I am at a loss.

IF I jumper the connector at the relay it fires right up when I turn the key. I bought a new relay and it still does not start with the relay plugged in. Any ideas?

fcm 08-20-2016 08:52 AM

Check the CIS, [clutch interlock switch] it supplies the ground, [when clutch stepped on] for the starter relays coil. 94

ZMoney444 10-23-2016 07:12 PM

Anybody ever figure out what the issue is if honda isn't cranking but starts right up when jumped from battery to starter terminal? I've got a 03 Accord EX V6 and key wont crank engine but jumper lead from battery to starter works every time! Help!!!

koyan123 08-20-2017 06:45 PM

Hi, are you able to do the test (starter) without taking out the intake manifold on the honda crv 02-06?

dirtracer65 07-02-2018 12:25 PM

Normally, if you can jump from the spade terminal on the starter solenoid to the battery connection on the starter with a screwdriver and the engine turns over, it's most likely a starter solenoid issue.

Does anyone know how to wire around a 98 Prelude ignition switch? I am running my Prelude in dirt track races. I had to change engines and after I reconnected all the wiring, the fuel pump would run in the off position of the ignition switch. Has anyone experienced this trouble before? What did you do to correct the issue? Thanks

grilledcheese 01-15-2019 07:58 AM

so awesome thank you for this!

1995hondacivic1 11-30-2019 04:12 PM

nice to know for future reference