Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Tech / Misc (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/)
-   -   Replacing rod/mains in car (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/replacing-rod-mains-car-3144012/)

TooFastVTEC 05-07-2013 12:14 PM

Replacing rod/mains in car

I got a 94 acura integra gsr turbo and my oil pump went out, I was at a stop sign when the oil pressure gauge went to 0, Killed it and towed home. I got the oil pump off and 2,3,4 main caps off. The bearings have regular wear, Like I should replace them if I can but not needed. The crank journals look fine and smooth as glass. When I slide my fingernail across them sideways it doesn't get caught or anything. (smooth as glass) Can I buy another set of acl race bearings and swap them all out and put it back together? Seems easy to swap the bottom halves of the bearings but how do I change the top half on top of crank?

Julio@Bisimoto 05-08-2013 11:52 AM

Re: Replacing rod/mains in car

From what I understood. Your bearings are still in good shape with no abnormal wear, but you had oil pressure drop down to 0? Did the oil pump fail on you and if not I would recommend tearing down to find the true cause of oil pressure drop.

Shmallow 05-08-2013 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by TooFastVTEC (Post 48755651)
Seems easy to swap the bottom halves of the bearings but how do I change the top half on top of crank?

you can rotate them out. push from the side without the notch and rotate it around the journal until it falls out like the bottom half. rotate the new bearing half back in in reverse.

it may be tricky to get it to move at first, but once it does it should come out easy the rest of the way.

TooFastVTEC 05-09-2013 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Julio@Bisimoto (Post 48759341)
From what I understood. Your bearings are still in good shape with no abnormal wear, but you had oil pressure drop down to 0? Did the oil pump fail on you and if not I would recommend tearing down to find the true cause of oil pressure drop.

It was the oil pump that failed. It had a TOGA high flow oil pump which is known to fail and I wouldn't recommend that pump to anyone ever. I bought a OEM pump and oem pickup tube, all oem gaskets, a ATI super damper, and some other goodies.

Originally Posted by Shmallow (Post 48759369)
you can rotate them out. push from the side without the notch and rotate it around the journal until it falls out like the bottom half. rotate the new bearing half back in in reverse.

it may be tricky to get it to move at first, but once it does it should come out easy the rest of the way.

Thanks for the help Shmallow appreciate it

Psychoteen101 05-11-2013 08:55 AM

If the bearings look to be fine, why are you replacing them?

And in any sense, if youre replacing bearings, you really should have the motor out of the car so you can check tolerances with plastiguage.

civickiller 05-11-2013 11:43 AM

how does the crank look?

TooFastVTEC 05-15-2013 04:15 PM

I'm replacing the bearings because i'm already there. The bottom halves have alittle bit of wear. The top half looks perfect. The motor had about 15k miles on it. The crank looks perfect also so I'm not going to have to get it machined. Basically I could have just put the car back together and drove but I just want to replace them because i'm already here. It previously had ACL race bearings standard in it i'm putting the same thing in it again. I got 2,3,4 main bearings out atm. Starting to rain and going to get 1,5 out another day. I was told to clean the block side of where the top bearing goes and make sure it's completely dry. Is that even possible with the crank in? Can I just put the new bearings in with assembly lube on the journal side? Can someone confirm what I need to do, This is the first time swapping bearings.

Shmallow 05-16-2013 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by TooFastVTEC (Post 48783095)
I was told to clean the block side of where the top bearing goes and make sure it's completely dry. Is that even possible with the crank in? Can I just put the new bearings in with assembly lube on the journal side? Can someone confirm what I need to do, This is the first time swapping bearings.

use brake-parts cleaner with the little straw on it to flush any debris or old oil from the mating surfaces. it cleans thoroughly and dries completely without leaving any residue. as always read the warning label and take extra care to keep it out of your eyes. It'll be extra tricky since you're coming from underneath to spray it.

a genrous amount of assembly lube on the bearing face (journal side) should do the trick.