Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Honda alternator vs reman alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Honda alternator vs reman alternator?

Returned from 2 week trip. 2002 CRV would not start. Acted like battery flat. Old battery, changed it, improved cables, grounds. Still real slow roll. Tracked problem to seized alternator. Put reman AutoZone unit in. Battery light came on as soon as car started. Got 14.5 volts off alternator. Checked harness, etc. using diagrams from alldatadiy.com. No Check Engine, no codes. Started Googling, found threads about how Honda cars fussy about alternators, how reman alternators may test GOOD but cause still issues. Also saw info about ELD unit as a possible source for this battery light issue. Has anyone else walked this path?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Honda alternator vs reman alternator?

If it's an ELD, you'd get a maintenance light, or CEL, or both. I've installed an autozone alternator on a nissan in the shop and it was bad out of the box, and so was the next one, but the 3rd one was good. Personally, either OEM or used OEM. If you're getting it rebuilt, get it done by a car audio type rebuilder, they always upgrade everything to push more juice.

If it's at 14.5, you're probably ok for now. Give it a day or two, might go away once the battery cycles. ELDs are cheap as well, so if you have doubts you might as well swap it too.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all parts store alternators are junk and Autozone is the worst offender, get a name brand one from rockauto or Denso is the best

I've had good luck with Pure Energy products, you can purchase a return label and slap it on the box that the Pure energy comes in and send it back and get the refund after deducting the cost of the return label and with Pure Energy you get 1 year free roadside assistance, click on the info link in the parts description
Old 06-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

you can get reman'd denso's on amazon for less than the autozone ones, I got a denso off amazon and it has worked very well in my 1995 integra

Here is the one I got for my integra

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who replied! I replaced ELD with no result. Then I went back to Autozone with inoperative alternator and paid $30 more to get a **new** alternator from them. I'm out $203 and lots of underhood hours but this resolved the battery light problem, thank goodness. There are other Hondas in the family, and I will take your advice if I need an alternator in the future. The Smart Alternator lesson will not be forgotten. Have a great Fourth of July!