Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Which oils/fluids are best for my '91 Accord LX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which oils/fluids are best for my '91 Accord LX?

1991 Honda Accord LX, 2 previous owners. 261k Miles, great maintenance - proof of receipts/repairs over the years, still have car owner's manual, but can't seem to find it.

What type of Transmission Fluid should I use?
I was told ATF DW-1 is the best to use for Hondas, is this a synthetic blend, or conventional? What would be the best to use?

What type of power steering fluid?

What engline oil?
I currently use 5w-30 as recommended, synthetic blend.

What brake fluid?
I use DOT3

What type of octane/grade of gasoline?
I usually use regular 87 octane
Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Which oils/fluids are best for my '91 Accord LX?

Originally Posted by ApatheticAccord
What type of Transmission Fluid should I use?
I was told ATF DW-1 is the best to use for Hondas, is this a synthetic blend, or conventional? What would be the best to use?
it came from the factory with ATF-Z1, but Honda has discontinued that and recommends the current DW-1 as the replacement. DexronIII or VI work fine in my experience, but you are only saving a few bucks to use that instead of the DW-1 from the dealer.

What type of power steering fluid?
anything that says "Honda/Acura compatible." they use a different formulation than other manufacturers. using anything else will destroy the seals. Nearly all auto parts chain stores carry it.

What engline oil?
I currently use 5w-30 as recommended, synthetic blend.
my philosophy on engine oil: keep it fresh (change it often enough that it's not black when it comes out) and stick to the recommended weights. brand doesn't matter much, but I like to stick with the same one just to control that variable.

What brake fluid?
I use DOT3
Just make sure it's fresh. break the seal and pour it in. don't use stuff that's been sitting on your shelf for a month with the seal broken. brake fluid pulls moisture out of the air. this ruins it. otherwise, like with oil, keep it fresh (off the top of my head i think it's every 60k mi. or 5 years... something like that)

What type of octane/grade of gasoline?
I usually use regular 87 octane
once again I like to stick to a few stations/brands to control that input. anything other than 87 is a waste for your car. there is a quality standard for gasoline and pretty much any nationally recognized name will meet that standard. No-name, mom&pop places are risky. maybe good, maybe flammable trash juice...
Old 10-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
it came from the factory with ATF-Z1, but Honda has discontinued that and recommends the current DW-1 as the replacement. DexronIII or VI work fine in my experience, but you are only saving a few bucks to use that instead of the DW-1 from the dealer.

anything that says "Honda/Acura compatible." they use a different formulation than other manufacturers. using anything else will destroy the seals. Nearly all auto parts chain stores carry it.

my philosophy on engine oil: keep it fresh (change it often enough that it's not black when it comes out) and stick to the recommended weights. brand doesn't matter much, but I like to stick with the same one just to control that variable.

Just make sure it's fresh. break the seal and pour it in. don't use stuff that's been sitting on your shelf for a month with the seal broken. brake fluid pulls moisture out of the air. this ruins it. otherwise, like with oil, keep it fresh (off the top of my head i think it's every 60k mi. or 5 years... something like that)

once again I like to stick to a few stations/brands to control that input. anything other than 87 is a waste for your car. there is a quality standard for gasoline and pretty much any nationally recognized name will meet that standard. No-name, mom&pop places are risky. maybe good, maybe flammable trash juice...
Great, thanks for the help!

I found my owners manual, it said to use DexronII, will any Dexron work?
Old 10-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Great, thanks for the help!

I found my owners manual, it said to use DexronII, will any Dexron work?
typically they are "backwards compatible." if "II" is recommended, "III" and "VI" will work but not "I".
Old 10-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
typically they are "backwards compatible." if "II" is recommended, "III" and "VI" will work but not "I".
Appreciate the help, man.