Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Oil Leak from Oil Separator Box B16A

Old 01-31-2011, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak from Oil Separator Box B16A

So I have been doing research in the HT Archives . . .

My Oil breather box is leaking a decent amount of oil. If I get under the car and look at the box itself I can see drips coming off the bottom left corner. This is a B16A motor purchased from HMotorsOnline.com. It roughly has 50,000 miles on it. I cannot visibly see any cracks. The Line that is supposed to lead from the air intake is not connected to the air intake it is re-routed over by the EVAP Canister. This should have nothing to do with the oil leak I would think. Since it is winter here I cannot really "fix" anything and then drive around to see if it stopped leaking. So I am going to take the box off tonight and check the O-Ring and check for cracks. Could a dirty PCV valve by chance possibly cause oil leakage? I wouldn't think so. . . I was just curious if the Breather box is a dealer only part? I cannot find the part number anywhere online, does anybody know what it is? How much do they run brand new? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil Leak from Oil Separator Box B16A

its probably just the o-ring.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...28DOHC+VTEC%29
Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasnt the O-Ring. One of the hoses leading off the oil separator box was completely corroded closed so PCV System wasn't working. Had to replace all Lines, PCV Valve, and the plastic pieces on the oil separator box that the hoses connect to. Replaced them with 3/4" to 3/8" brass hose adapter and applied a little silicone. I think what happened was the lines were clogged so PCV system wasnt working and I think that caused excess pressure inside the Oil separator box causing it to leak from the O-Ring. I did not replace O-Ring and have driven over 1000 miles since change with no more leaks.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

Resurrecting this thread...

How difficult was it to remove and replace all of these parts? All of that stuff is pretty well hidden up in there and I can't really see an easy way. Could you help me out? I have a similar drip from mine and want to just put new parts in. Thanks.