Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

oil in combustion chamber from piston rings??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in combustion chamber from piston rings??

my #2 cylinder keeps getting oil on top of it enough to cover the piston, i didn't think if it was a valve seal it would leak that much but well see....
my q is if THAT much oil is passing the all three rings and goin back into the combustion chamber wouldn't that show on a leakdown???
b/c thats a decent amount of oil to travel past them
compression and leak down looked perfect, but im thinkin since the piston keeps getting wet that it's not letting the compresssion gauge get an accurate reading.
thought it may have been fuel but i switched injectors and that plug wire and no change in conditions.
any advice???
thanx
Old 12-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil in combustion chamber from piston rings?? (SIXTY-1HATCH)

could also be the spark plug tube lower o-ring
Old 12-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTY-1HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
my q is if THAT much oil is passing the all three rings and goin back into the combustion chamber wouldn't that show on a leakdown???
b/c thats a decent amount of oil to travel past them
compression and leak down looked perfect, but im thinkin since the piston keeps getting wet that it's not letting the compresssion gauge get an accurate reading.
thought it may have been fuel but i switched injectors and that plug wire and no change in conditions.
any advice???
thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>

A compression and leakdown test will tell you nothing about the condition of the oil control rings. You could take them out and the readings for the compression test would be higher due to the excess oil sealing the compression rings.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 AM

compression test it and see what it gets you
Old 12-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil in combustion chamber from piston rings?? (b18sihatch)

aight for anyone following this i have more news....
i started pulling the intake mani off and when i checked #2 port it had oil on top of the valve right where the stem meets the head of the valve so i would like to say a cracked valve guide or valve seal
NOW my other question is if it is in the bottom end would that oil be making it into the head like that, the way i see it oil is in the combustion chamber and if it is from the bottom end the oil could still be winding up on the valve up that hi since they are the intake valve maybe they are sucking the oil on top like that???
or could that only mean that its in the head
thanx for the replies
and i already did compression and leak down and both turned out great results
compression 180 across and leakdown was 8-10% across the board
Old 12-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTY-1HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aight for anyone following this i have more news....
i started pulling the intake mani off and when i checked #2 port it had oil on top of the valve right where the stem meets the head of the valve so i would like to say a cracked valve guide or valve seal
NOW my other question is if it is in the bottom end would that oil be making it into the head like that, the way i see it oil is in the combustion chamber and if it is from the bottom end the oil could still be winding up on the valve up that hi since they are the intake valve maybe they are sucking the oil on top like that???
or could that only mean that its in the head
thanx for the replies
and i already did compression and leak down and both turned out great results
compression 180 across and leakdown was 8-10% across the board
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, faulty oil control rings can not cause oil to get up behind the intake valve. The oil you see is caused by a seal or excessive valve to guide clearance issue. However, that does not mean that you also don't have a problem with the oil control rings.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil in combustion chamber from piston rings?? (Scott_Tucker)

So in other words it looks like i have an issue with the head AND the block for cylinder #2. I guess the smoke on startup would explain the valve seals leaking and the smoke durin part throttle and what not would be from my ring issue, welp guess ill pull her apart and re ring her.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTY-1HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So in other words it looks like i have an issue with the head AND the block for cylinder #2. I guess the smoke on startup would explain the valve seals leaking and the smoke durin part throttle and what not would be from my ring issue, welp guess ill pull her apart and re ring her.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, what I meant is even though the valve seal is obviously leaking, the piston rings could possibly be contributing to the oil consumption also.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil in combustion chamber from piston rings?? (Scott_Tucker)

yea im gonna pull the block to be safe i think there is an issue with the piston also so i just can't see valve seals pissing that much oil i could run them without them and it probally wouldn't be that bad
Old 01-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well for anyone that searched this i pulled my # 2 piston out last night and it was in mint condition, so my engine guy took ANOTHER look at the head real good and called me back to let me know that is was the intake valve guides out of wack, so they will be replacing all intake guide and seals