Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Tech / Misc (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/)
-   -   objective feedback request: B series hatch -Engine & transmission options (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/objective-feedback-request-b-series-hatch-engine-transmission-options-3335717/)

JDM_ego2033 04-05-2019 08:54 PM

objective feedback request: B series hatch -Engine & transmission options

So as of right now i have a B18C1 block with a JDM B16a head. The casting on the head is pr3-4 i believe and was told it was type R but after some research im still torn as to whether or not its JDM or Type R but regardless its a B16 head.

I know i need a new head, however, and my trans has a crack in the housing from hitting a rock. At this point i wish to keep my block since i have no problems with it and its bored out as well.

I have an 88 JDM B16A that's been sitting in my back yard for some time now i just took apart. I was considering putting the head onto my B18 block and even the trans from the B16. The only true downside is involving swapping the trans i would have to go from hydro to cable clutch. On top of that i was considering putting an LS 5th gear as well.

Also, the internals of the B18 are more for a turbo set up. i was considering getting high compression pistons and going for all motor as opposed to a turbo setup. I feel with the engine bore and the pistons slapping a little having forced induction would be a little too much stress on the engine. I also like i said was considering putting the 88 B16A head on the block but since its out now i want it to get machined and possibly have new valves put in.

what valves would you recommend for this set up and or other work should i have done before throwing it all together, and would you recommend the cable clutch b16 trans or should i do away with that idea?

I originally wanted to build the B16A and leave it all together since its kind of a classic but it seems logical since i have the pieces here.

Sorry for being all over the place but what are your ideas on the build? and if i dont use the 88 B16A for parts, what head and trans would you recommend for the block?

OGNAEG 04-24-2019 05:55 AM

re: objective feedback request: B series hatch -Engine & transmission options

This goes back in time a little for me but I originally had my first engine swap done by someone in the Orlando (FL) area. I originally had asked for a second gen B16 for my EG but the person ended up swapping in a first gen B16 with an ITR IM and then converted the car from Hydro to Cable. First gen tranny was used. Now back in the day I don't think the right mounts were available for the cable tranny swap into the EG but I think they exist now (this was about 20 years ago). A couple of problems with the car when I got it back after a month (mind you I was in college and this was my daily). Engine tilted some - if I recall correctly it was because the tranny set up. CEL lights which was never resolved (this guy used a GSR ecu) and the axles always made noise when turning.

Personally, I liked the cable tranny, engagement was pretty quick from what I recall. Not that the hydro took a long time or anything like that but just something I noticed. Car ran pretty strong until I decided the just do the swap myself. Sourced a 2nd gen JDM B16 and also an S4 tranny, chipped p28 this time and sold off the old motor and parts. Once I did the swap myself had zero issues and ran awesome for about 2 years before I sold it. No axle issues, no CEL's

Honestly I don't think there was a "downside" to having the cable tranny. You'll need to get a cable pedal box from another car but that can be sourced thru some junk yards. I think I paid like $2.5k for the guy to do the swap with labor - you get what you pay for.

TomCat39 04-26-2019 07:52 PM

I moved your thread to the misc/tech section until you decide if you are going NA or FI.

This thread isn't specific to engine machine shop specifications or the kind of assembly orientated with machine shop work.
As such it doesn't really fit there and would be better either in NA/FI or as a car specific build thread.

BoostHatchFreak 05-13-2019 08:11 PM

you can get a hydro conversion kit to keep the shell hydro set up. it should be just as strong as a hydro is.
new stock valves should be fine just get a valve job on the seats as well. have no knowledge on the 88 specs so I got no input there
also "high comp" anything over 11.5:1 is pointless unless you get some aftermarket cams and or run it on something other then pump gas

tony_2018 05-15-2019 06:37 PM

My thoughts on a b-series hatch? Been done before, alot.