Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

H22 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 Help!

So to start I have a closed deck h22 motor in my car. I first realized I had a problem when the massive smoke cloud followed me home one day. I checked the compression in all 4 cylinders and they were all low and different to start which is a bad sign, and the number one cylinder had absolutely zero compression. So I pulled the thing apart to take it down to the machine shop to get bored over and get some oversized pistons.

Now to the confusing part...

Turns out that The guy i bought the car installed some arias pistons that are already .02 oversized pistons. After calling Arias to get some help, the techguy said that sometimes shops use thin liners after boring out the FRM sleeves, and that is most likely what I have. The cylinder walls are not magnetic so I know they aren't iron. I don't know much about these liners, but I was wondering if they can possibly be taken out and replaced? Am I better off sourcing a used block and getting that prepped for these pistons? I realize I should probably spend the big bucks and get a full-on sleeved block, but I'm just weighing out all my options here....

I was hoping someone had some knowledge on the subject, and could offer some insight and maybe help me out.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:35 PM

bump!
....anyone?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what was the cause of the 0 compression ?

was it in the block or in the head ?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 AM

the head looks fine, all the valves are intact and sealed well. The piston still moves up and down, and there's a decent amount of wobble in it, so I assume it's the block.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AlaFreakingModees)

Either get a new engine or get the block sleeved either way its gonna cost you some $. Sucks that happened. If the person just dropped the pistons in the engine with out sleeves or liners then thats what caused the bottom end to loose compression. Where you consuming a lot of oil?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:27 AM

yea i was burning oil like no ones business....i drove it for about 5K miles the way it is because I had no idea what was wrong. I tested the compression when I first got it, and it was a little low, but not anything I was gonna tear the motor open for.
I've heard without sleeving that aftermarket pistons will just cease in the cylinder. These pistons are oversized .02 over, and I'm far from any type of expert, but is it possible to bore out the FRM sleeves and just drop the pistons in? Because that's what it looks like happened.

Either way it looks like I need to start sourcing a new block.

Any information you may have about the FRM sleeves would be appreciated, all the information Ive been able to find is unclear and sometimes contradictory. I appreciate the help!